• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig poop 💩

dibazare

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys (=
My guinea pig poop is light brown and I found out it's because of dehydration. I'm feeding him half of a cucumber every day and he also drinks water, but the poop is still light brown. What should I do? He eats healthy and properly.

Without seeing a picture, we couldn’t comment on the poop.
Has a vet diagnosed dehydration?
What temperatures do you have in your area?

The colour of poop can vary and still be totally normal without there being any health issue.

However, feeding half a cucumber is far too much though. The diet needs to be mainly hay/grass, with one cup of veg per day and one tablespoon of plain pellets per day. Feeding too much veg and not enough hay can cause imbalances and cause poops to become light.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Hello and welcome to forum. Have the poops changed recently to brown? Are they crumbly? It could just be the normal colour for your piggy. If you are worried I’d get them checked over by the vet.

The colour of poop can vary and still be totally normal without there being any health issue.

However, feeding half a cucumber is far too much though. The diet needs to be mainly hay/grass, with one cup of veg per day and one tablespoon of plain pellets per day. Feeding too much veg and not enough hay can cause imbalances and cause poops to become light.

Thanks for your answer.
There's unlimited hay in his cage and as soon as he finishes the hay, he comes to me and asks for more.
He eats less than half of a tomato every day and some cilantro.
I've just brought him home. It's been a week.
First, his poop was dark brown but after the first day, it became light.
Where I got him, he hadn't been fed properly and he didn't use to eat hay or any vegetables at all!
I even had to teach him how to drink water and that's the reason I fed him cucumber; I thought he doesn't drink enough.
So all of these are so new for him, but I'm worried about the poop.

He's almost a year and a half.

Hello and welcome to forum. Have the poops changed recently to brown? Are they crumbly? It could just be the normal colour for your piggy. If you are worried I’d get them checked over by the vet.
Hi, thanks ❤️
I've just brought him home, it's been a week.
On the first day, it was dark brown but after that, it became light.
They used to be crumbly but now they're not and everything about them except the color is normal.
He didn't use to good and proper food and everything is new for him.
So you think it's normal?

O
Thanks for your answer.
There's unlimited hay in his cage and as soon as he finishes the hay, he comes to me and asks for more.
He eats less than half of a tomato every day and some cilantro.
I've just brought him home. It's been a week.
First, his poop was dark brown but after the first day, it became light.
Where I got him, he hadn't been fed properly and he didn't use to eat hay or any vegetables at all!
I even had to teach him how to drink water and that's the reason I fed him cucumber; I thought he doesn't drink enough.
So all of these are so new for him, but I'm worried about the poop.

He's almost a year and a half.
Oh and about the vet diagnosis, No.
It's just google information 😬
I've searched on google and found out the normal color is dark brown!

One other thing. Is he your only piggy? He will be much happier if you could get him a friend to live with 👍🏻

One other thing. Is he your only piggy? He will be much happier if you could get him a friend to live with 👍🏻
He's my only and my first pet.
As soon as I found out how things work the best, I would bring him a new friend.
Thanks for the suggestion ♥️

He's my only and my first pet.
As soon as I found out how things work the best, I would bring him a new friend.
Thanks for the suggestion ♥️

That’s great. Come back on here when you are ready to get him a friend. We can help you with the bonding. Obviously you can only get him one male friend as you don’t want them to mate.

Here's the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_181148_677.webp
    IMG_20230305_181148_677.webp
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
That’s great. Come back on here when you are ready to get him a friend. We can help you with the bonding. Obviously you can only get him one male friend as you don’t want them to mate.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to need some help (=
Thanks again, you're so sweet.

Poop doesn’t look too be bad but if his diet has been changed then that may explain it.

You are feeding too much tomato. Please do not give tomato every day. It is too acidic and can lead to a potentially fatal lip infection. Tomato should either not be given at all or only given as a treat no more than once a week.

Do ensure you get him a friend. Guinea pigs are not meant to be alone so he will be much happier and settle in much more easily if he is not by himself.

Googling is not always helpful. If you have health concerns about your piggy, the best thing is to see a vet.

These guides will help you
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Poop doesn’t look too be bad but if his diet has been changed then that may explain it.

You are feeding too much tomato. Please do not give tomato every day. It is too acidic and can lead to a potentially fatal lip infection. Tomato should either not be given at all or only given as a treat no more than once a week.

Do ensure you get him a friend. Guinea pigs are not meant to be alone so he will be much happier and settle in much more easily if he is not by himself.

Googling is not always helpful. If you have health concerns about your piggy, the best thing is to see a vet.

These guides will help you
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
Thanks a lot ♥️♥️
I'll get him a new friend asap

Back