Guinea pig Personality Change?

Dollyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wasn't sure what thread to post this to.

Always seems like theres something new going on with my girls, this time my girl Pigeon. Her behavior/personality seemed to drastically change around me. She was always loving and welcoming to my pets while she stayed in the cage, she would welcome me at the bars and lay happily while I pet her. Now, the past two weeks or so, she's very skittish around me, will run into her hide when she see's me and won't let me pet her for more than two seconds.

Now, this behavior for her is normal when my sister is around (my sister almost always comes over to the cage to pick them up, so I guess they have associated her with being picked up and will run away because of that}, but that was never the case with me as I interact with them inside the cage every single day. Is this normal while they are still growing? Pigeon is around one year old now (I think she was 4 months in February). I don't think she's sick or injured in some type of way as she's normal every other time of day and I make sure to check their health and well being almost every time they're held. So... Is this a age related thing?

I’m not much of an expert with piggies, but it might be because of a new stressor? Have you changed anything about their area? It might have to do with age, I’m not sure about that… hopefully someone with better answers for you sees the thread

Wasn't sure what thread to post this to.

Always seems like theres something new going on with my girls, this time my girl Pigeon. Her behavior/personality seemed to drastically change around me. She was always loving and welcoming to my pets while she stayed in the cage, she would welcome me at the bars and lay happily while I pet her. Now, the past two weeks or so, she's very skittish around me, will run into her hide when she see's me and won't let me pet her for more than two seconds.

Now, this behavior for her is normal when my sister is around (my sister almost always comes over to the cage to pick them up, so I guess they have associated her with being picked up and will run away because of that}, but that was never the case with me as I interact with them inside the cage every single day. Is this normal while they are still growing? Pigeon is around one year old now (I think she was 4 months in February). I don't think she's sick or injured in some type of way as she's normal every other time of day and I make sure to check their health and well being almost every time they're held. So... Is this a age related thing?

Hi

Perhaps she has finally got the courage to be her normal self with you? It is actually a step forward because it means that she trusts you enough to no longer play unresponsive prey. Some piggies with a naturally high stress level (i.e. very often corn to a stressed mother) can take a long while to settle. She is still a teenager although she is rather coming to the end of it.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Hi

Perhaps she has finally got the courage to be her normal self with you? It is actually a step forward because it means that she trusts you enough to no longer play unresponsive prey. Some piggies with a naturally high stress level (i.e. very often corn to a stressed mother) can take a long while to settle. She is still a teenager although she is rather coming to the end of it.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
That would make the most sense, yes. I didn't know that was something guinea pigs do, but it makes sense!

Back