Guinea pig pellets

Nmartinez6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out the best pellets to give my guinea pigs. And with some research I've seen some sources that say alfalfa can cause obesity in them. Has anyone found pellets that have no alfalfa hay, and one that is a reasonable price?

I've been feeding Oxbow guinea pig pellets for many years and they have worked great for me and my pigs. If your pig is under a year feed them the young guinea pig pellet (which will have alfalfa due to needed nutrients for growth) and then switch to adult guinea pig food when they're older. Alfalfa can cause obesity, but young guinea pigs should be given it because of its high levels of calcium, which is needed for their growth and development. Once older they should be given timothy or orchard grass hay instead!

Alfalfa is not needed to be given to piggies at all in any form or at any age. It’s not a grass hay and is too high in calcium which can lead to bladder stones if given for too long.
Pregnant sows can have a small amount of alfalfa to boost their reserves, and newborn babies can have a very small amount of additional alfalfa but only until the babies are three weeks of age. They do not need any alfalfa after three weeks of age.
For anybody who does choose to feed the alfalfa containing young piggy pellets, then they should be stopped by the time they piggies are 4 months of age due to the higher calcium content.
Adult pellets (grass hay based) can be fed from birth and the young piggy pellets are a bit of a gimmick and never actually need to be given even to young piggies at all.
Whatever pellet brand you choose, ensure you feed only one tablespoon per pig per day.

I believe Oxbow essential are a brand which are a common brand to feed in the US. They do not contain alfalfa.

Last edited:
Back