• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Overgrown Mollars

funkylaurad

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
My piggie Muffin is almost 5years old, I took her to the Vet as she was struggling to eat. The vet diagnosed overgrown mollars but didnt have the expertise to deal with dental work. I've looked up a few places and have seen Simon and Kim recommended at the Cat and rabbit clinic. I will try to register there and hire a car to drive Muufin there.

I understand Muffin would need to be put under for filing of molars. Does anyone have experience of this? How did it go for the piggie? What are the costs of the procedure. I also reached out to the Royal College Vets and they said around £1200 for a consult and teeth burring/filing.

How can I help her recover after surgery and to try to eat again?

Thanks all, praying for Muffin

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry poor Muffin is having problems. C&R is definitely the place to get the necessary treatment. I personally haven't used it but many others have and one of them will be along soon.

:wel: Sorry your Muffin has dental problems, Cat & Rabbit Clinic is definitely the best place for expert treatment. One of my boars had dental issues and was treated there. They really are the best at diagnosis and dental treatment for piggies.

As I understand it now, they do have to use anaesthetic for a first molar filing, but not always subsequently (I could be wrong though). I don't think it would cost as much as £1200, but I didn't have to have GA for my boy and prices seem to be going up all the time. Bear in mind though that dental problems often require more than one treatment.

Often after treatment at C&R, a piggy will start eating again straight afterwards. If she isn't eating now and is losing weight, you should start syringe feeding her with either mushed pellets or a recovery food, and you can use this too if she is slow to start eating fully for herself after the treatment.

Best of luck getting treatment for Muffin 🙏🤞 Sending healing vibes 💓

Thanks very much. I am giving her lots of critical care which she is eating but slowly. Just did a night feed.

She still seems interested in regular food but isn't able to eat it atm

Back