Guinea Pig or Hamster?

• Thread starter Thread starter kansas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kansas

Hi, well my 9 year old wants a Guinea Pig or Hamster for Christmas. I have been trying to do research on both but not sure I'm getting many answers. So I thought I would try this.
He likes the Guinea Pig for the size and cuddly factor. And I like it cause it doesn't look like a mouse...lol
He likes the Hamster so it can use a Hamster ball and go around the house in it
So I'm trying to figure out which one is better suited for a 9 year old boy who wants to cuddle and watch it play.
Also Does the male of either smell more than the Female?
Thank You

Hi Kansa,

Firstly welcome to the forum! It is very refreshing to see that you are doing some research before making a decision. I have never had a hamster so I cannot help on that front. However if you go down the GP route it will need a friend. GPs are heard animals and should always be kept in pairs as a minimum. I would also suggest you check the minimum cage requirement - 7.5 sq ft for 2 piggies.
This might help with making a decision!
I am sure someone will be on hand to advise about Hammies soon!

If you need to know anything else feel free to ask there are loads of really helpful people on this forum

L

I would say hammy for a first pet - they are a LOT cheaper to keep, requre less space, and its cheaper to buy new little toys and things for them (maybe he could buy little toyswith his pocket money) Def a syrian!

Hi there Kansa and welcome to the Forum (it's brill - lots of interesting and helpful advice and support)

In my experience hamsters smell much more than guinea pigs. Guinea pigs live longer (much longer usually). Hamsters are nocturnal creatures - guineas are awake day and night (they have several short naps throughout). Guinea pigs very rarely bite. Guinea pigs are easier to handle for a child (although must always be supervised). Guinea pigs "talk" to you. Guinea pigs are easier to cater for foodwise - eating many veggies and fruit that we have. Guinea pigs can be out in a run in the garden in the Spring, Summer and early Autumn - they act like mini lawn mowers and can also help to fertilise your lawn! and the lurrrrrrrrrrrrve dandelions too!

Maybe I am just biased but I would definitely go for a guinea pig (or preferably two).

Well done you for doing the research but remember they are highly addictive pets! Good luck. O0 Please let us know what you decide and when you get your little bundle(s) of joy home.

I forgot to add, please get the pet for you, not your kids, as its you that has to taken overall responsibility for the animal, maybe it would be better to get whichever you prefer :)

We see too many animals in rescue because 'my kids lost interest' :) O0

I agree with PP get the pet for you, actually I done the same got my pigs for my daughter but who cleans them and gives them everything? :D Me!

I think it all depends on what you want to get out of pet ownership? My pigs take up 4 hours of my day every day but I have 3 cages to clean and then lap time to do with them. :)

Keep reading up, I found that the best way of learning and also posting here was a great help!

Good luck!

Louise
x

Hi Kansas

I have 4 male guinea pigs and one male hamster.
Whilst hamster are easier to care for, they do tend to get smellier quicker. I also find we have to wake Rainbow up so that my children can see him.
My two kids are 8 and 12. They are relatively cheap to keep.

Guinea pigs are more expensive to keep. All 4 of mine are indoors, they are active most of the day and my daughter 8 loves giving their veggies at breakfast.
They are lovely when they wheek, when the fridge door opens. You'll need to spot clean the wee areas each day.

I personnally think, a pair of guinea pigs are easier for a 9 year old to handle and groom and cuddle.
Good luck with your decision.
Anne. :)

I agree a pair of guinea pigs make a better pet for children, as long as you have the space for them. They aren't all that expensive to keep IMO but the housing is more expensive because of the size needed.

We used to have a hamster, but the children rarely saw it and couldn't pick it up because it kept trying to escape.

The guinea pigs are much more cuddly, are active in the day, and are generally friendlier. My 7 year old feeds them, and helps with the cleaning. He doesn't pick them up yet, but both children love to sit with the piggies on their laps and groom them (my younger child is 4 and she isn't too small for a piggy cuddle :))

The vet bills for guinea pigs can be mind blowing, and they are def a lot more expensive to keep than hammies, with veggies everyday, constant supply of hay, a run, a lot more cleaning involved, more space needed, cages more expensive...but they are well worth it if you have the time and money :smitten:

I've had hamsters and guinea pigs and both can make lovable pets. Both animals need daily care cleaning and feeding etc but guinea pigs take up alot more space so is a bit more time consuming when cleaning out.
I've had female hamsters as well as male hamsters and don't notice a difference in one being more smelly than the other! Not sure about guinea pigs though as i've only ever had females.
Hamsters do sleep all day, mine gets up about seven o'clock for his veggies then goes back to bed for a nap before getting up again at 10 o' clock but this can vary depending on the hamster. :)

PerfectPiggies said:
The vet bills for guinea pigs can be mind blowing, and they are def a lot more expensive to keep than hammies, with veggies everyday, constant supply of hay, a run, a lot more cleaning involved, more space needed, cages more expensive...but they are well worth it if you have the time and money :smitten:

Apart from the expensive hutch, I spend about £5 per month on woodshavings and hay. I don't buy any special fruit or veg, they just get peelings or offcuts of what we have. I clean them out once a week, same as I used to with the hamster, although of course it does take a little longer as the hutch is bigger. I don't think they are much more high maintenance than the hamster, and they are a lot more rewarding.

I don't buy any special fruit or veg, they just get peelings or offcuts of what we have.

As long as the guineas are getting one cup full of veg per pig, everyday :)

We dont even eat as much veg as our piggies do, so we buy for them, and then for us :)

Alfie said:
Hi Kansas

I have 4 male guinea pigs and one male hamster.
Whilst hamster are easier to care for, they do tend to get smellier quicker. I also find we have to wake Rainbow up so that my children can see him.
My two kids are 8 and 12. They are relatively cheap to keep.

Guinea pigs are more expensive to keep. All 4 of mine are indoors, they are active most of the day and my daughter 8 loves giving their veggies at breakfast.
They are lovely when they wheek, when the fridge door opens. You'll need to spot clean the wee areas each day.

I personnally think, a pair of guinea pigs are easier for a 9 year old to handle and groom and cuddle.
Good luck with your decision.
Anne. :)

Oh Anne! ;D 2funny ;D2funny ;D2funny You really need to read this back and possibly re-assess whether or not your children are indeed relatively cheap to keep! ROFL

Thank You all for the replies, Yes I know the pets would be mine mostly but he does do a good job helping. We had Sugar Gliders for a while, My cousin is in the Army and was over Seas so we had the Gliders for about 6 mo. That was interesting..Have any of you heard of Woody Pet wood pellets? It is compressed wood pellets that turn to saw dust when wet. Would those work for litter in the cage? I am in central Ks and there arent a lot of places around here for supplies with in an hour drive.

They are okay for hammies, but I wouldnt use them for guinea pigs, as they are too harsh on their feet I feel....they need a flat surface.

You could use vetbed, or fleece, if you cant get shavings or megazorb?

I personally wouldn't use this even for hamsters. I had a sample of this through the post and it didn't work for me, i think any bedding you need to add water to should be avoided as it expands so i'd worry if they ate it.

You dont have to add the water to it, I use it for my dogs...lol they have a litter box in there kennels they sleep in at night and it is dry til they pee on it...lol I have a friend that breeds Papillons and she trains the puppies to use the litter boxes. It works pretty good.. O0

No, she means, if the piggy eats the pellet, then drinks, it will expand in their tummy, and could cause a problem :)

Hmm firstly welcome to the forum...

And i have both hamsters and guinea pigs.

The guinea pigs are funny to watch in there run and i love cuddle them and they soon get attatched to you.

But hamsters are nocturnal so if hes 9...Would he be able to stay up later enough to actually see it? My hamster comes out at about half 7..... I like my hamster because its funny to watch them.On there wheel climbling up the settee running around but guinea pigs are great too.+ guinea pigs live for years and hamsters only live for about 1 year...

Overall though...

Guinea pig > Hamster

wow three years! my little man was about 2 when he passed. He had a bad start though. the people who had him before us called him killer, spent no time with him and still expected him to be friendly. We were given him because they decided they wanted a cat! Hope they treated the cat a little better. :'(

katiep said:
My Gus is 2 today! He's not very well though :'(

Aww bless....Mine started to loose its hair/fur and it was always itching and then it died, :'(

Thanks, he is very wheezy and seems snotty, its been going on a while and the baytril doesn't seem to have done much, have put some Vicks on the outside of his bedroom which seems to help. Poor little man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back