• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig not eating or drinking :(((

Bethan2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my boys has stopped eating and drinking. He is about 10 months old (rescue so not exact)
We noticed he was eating less 2 days ago (he did eat some celery and mint but only a little) but it leaving his pellets/nuggets mostly untouched and is leaving all kale/carrots/cucumber. Now his pops are much smaller and paler.
I’ve been syringe feeding him some water and blended cucumber but I’m worried he’s loosing weight.
Our vets is closed today but I plan on calling first thing tomorrow.
I’ve mashed his nuggets with water and plan to leave that mash in his cage (or should I syringe feed him that as well?) and may try the ‘poo soup’ that I’ve read online as well.
His current weight is 1047g and I’ll start recording it daily but I didn’t notice him loosing weight because he is so fluffy it’s not visible. Just from handling him it feels like he may be lighter, but he’s always been much lighter than his brother so it’s hard to tell.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Side note- he is in his own cage after he fought his brother and they drew blood so the vet recommended separation. I used to let them have small periods of supervised time together on the floor but they started fighting properly again so I now do not let them physically be with each other, although they can hear each other. Could he be depressed/lonely?

If their cages are side by side he won’t be lonely.
Piggies who have had a fight cannot have floor time together.

Please step in and syringe fed him the mushed pellets. Hay is their main food intake and syringe feeding replaces the hay when they are not eating it for themselves. He needs to be syringe fed a minimum of 60ml of pellet mash per day but the daily weight checks are you guide to ensuring he is getting enough.
Syringing just water and cucumber is not the right thing - it doesn’t replace hay intake and will not sustain him.
The fact his poops are smaller means he hasn’t eaten properly for a few days already. Poop output is 1-2 days behind so is not accurate.

Continue to weigh him each morning and see a vet tomorrow.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

I hope he is ok

If their cages are side by side he won’t be lonely.
Piggies who have had a fight cannot have floor time together.

Please step in and syringe fed him the mushed pellets. Hay is their main food intake and she’s feeding replaces the hay when they are not eating it for themselves. He needs to be syringe fed a minimum of 60ml of pellet mash per day but the daily weight checks are you guide to ensuring he is getting enough.
Syringing just water and cucumber is not the right thing - it doesn’t replace hay intake and will sustain him.
The fact his poops are smaller means he hasn’t eaten properly for a few days already. Poop output is 1-2 days behind so is not accurate.

Continue to weigh him each morning and see a vet tomorrow.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

I hope he is ok
Thank you really appreciate it. I will syringe feed him the mashed nuggets and hope the vet can help

Let us know how you get on. I hope he is ok

To add, ensure you do not feed kale or carrots regularly. Carrot is too high in sugar and they should only have a tiny piece as a very occasional treat. Kale is high in calcium and can contribute to the formation of bladder stones. Again, one small piece once a week.

Let us know how you get on. I hope he is ok

To add, ensure you do not feed kale or carrots regularly. Carrot is too high in sugar and they should only have a tiny piece as a very occasional treat. Kale is high in calcium and can contribute to the formation of bladder stones. Again, one small piece once a week.
Thank you. They don’t have carrot regularly, I wasn’t aware of kale as I’d read online that “leafy greens like kale” were great for them so I’ll definitely reduce their kale intake

Back