Guinea Pig not eating food... but will eat other things?

twitchypig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So unfortunately one of my pigs passed about 3 weeks ago. The one I have now is alone now while I figure some stuff out but won't be for long. A few days ago, I noticed the amount of food in his bowl isn't changing. I go to give him carrot (which is pretty common for me to give him) and he won't eat it.

I get worried, but try to not freak out. I think maybe he's not really hungry, but I refill his hay and he goes to town on it. I put in a hay treat that his little dried fruits and he ate that too. Days later, still his pellets aren't touched and he won't take carrots but will take peppers and hay and a small broccoli.

Why is he eating some things but not others? Is he bored of his food? He seems as active as ever. He hasn't lost weight that I can see. Will he start eating food again?

As long as he is still eating plenty of hay and he is not losing any weight then there is not a huge concern here.

The important part is that you are weighing him on normal kitchen scales every week as part of routine care, but weigh him daily while he is alone and grieving and while you have health concerns for him. This enables you to monitor hay intake accurately. Hay intake cannot be gauged by eye.

Actually not eating carrot or pellets in itself is not concerning
They should not have carrot regularly - it’s too sugary and unhealthy for them. Carrot should be a tiny amount and given no more than once a week. Therefore not eating it in itself is healthier for him.
They also do not need pellets in their diet. Just one tablespoon per day is plenty but they actually don’t need them. Mine only get five pellets each and even then I only give them twice a week.

Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry about your loss.

Please make sure that you monitor the hay intake with daily weighing on your normal kitchen scales. If you haven't got any, feel around the ribs for the BMI whether he is underweight or not.
Weight Loss Explained: BMI, Weighing, Poos and Feeding Support

You cannot control the hay intake by eye. Hay should make over three quarters of what a piggy eats in a day. 1 cup of fresh - preferably green, leafy veg and herbs - plus a slice of sweet pepper and a slice of cucumber, pellets (1 tablespoon per piggy per day) and any treats all together replace the supplementary role of fresh forage in the grass/hay based diet that guinea pigs have evolved on. Carrots are like chocolate and fruit are like candy for guinea pigs; they should only feature as occasional treats. Pellets can be replaced by fresh or dry forage.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets (contains detailed diet on what you can feed how often and a picture of a sample diet)

Single piggies can be much more picky when it comes to food; they lack the 'I want what you have' stimulation from their mate.
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (discusses the various issues that can arise with singles in a range of different situations, incuding bereavement, and how you spot when your single is struggling with being on their own)

I hope that this helps you?

Back