• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig not eating after dental and GA on Monday - please help

• Thread starter Thread starter Molly and George
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Molly and George

I have a rescue guinea pig, at least 4 years of age, who had to have a GA on Monday due to problems with her teeth. Unfortunately molars on both sides of her mouth had overgrown and her incisors were quite long also. Whilst she had lost some weight she showed no other signs and it was only when she didn't eat her favourite cucumber on Sunday that I thought something must be seriously wrong.
Unfortunately her recovery has not been good and this has surprised the vet. She ate nothing on Monday which I expected due to her GA but on Tuesday when she still showed no signs I started to syringe feeding her. I have been doing this at least 5 times a day with science recovery and giving her water with vitamin C but although she is maintaining her weight she is still really weak and wobbly. My vet has been really good prescribing painkillers and antibiotics and I have spoken to her twice daily. But I am very worried as she still can't eat by herself. She will take tiny bits of fleshy cucumber but can not do this by herself so tries to pick things up but can't and now is thoroughly miserable. She hates being syringe fed and I am worried that forcing food into her maybe causing her even more stress. I really don't knwo what to do. I am happy to continue to feed her myself but how long do you do this for? I don't want to give up too early as she is a fab little pig but I really don't want her to suffer and at the moment I really question her quality of life. Has anyone else had similar experiences or any advice?

Thank you
Sam

She'll hopefully get better soon. Your'e doing the right thing syringefeeding-although be careful with this. When she starts to get better she could be cheeky and just wait for you to feed her, even iif she could eat it herself. Have a proper chat with your vet about your options. I'd wait another week, then seriously consider putting her down. I'm really sorry if you have to, but it may be the best thing for her. You're very un-selfish for thinking about her quality of life:most owners wwould just expect her to get better, even if she was in serious pain. I hope everything goes well and she gets better.
Best wishes, Rachel :)

Hi Sam, it doesn't hurt to put pigs under GA for one dental but its not necessary. Some vets and some rodentologists will do it while guinea is awake.

I would think that her mouth is sore, which is why she's not eating. I would advise getting in touch with the Cambridge Cavy Trust for details of your nearest rodentologist (who will be working under veterinary guidance so can point you in the direction of a guinea friendly vet).

07721 026401 to text/phone your message. You will need to join at some stage, its £25 a year for health checks and free dental work, consults and meds are considerably cheaper as CCT are a charity. Hopefully you're within a reasonable distance of someone that can help, if not Vedra will advise you.

If you're near Reading (Berkshire) them there are two vets that can do dental work without anaesthetic and are used to seeing lots of guineas (and their mouths :) ). Their number is 0118 9615096 book an appointment with Jenny Towers, or if Maidenhead is nearer ask for Summerleaze's number and get an appointment with James Brooks.

There are syringe feeding hints and tips on the Supplies List at the top of the board if that helps at all, I would definitely keep it up until I'd had a second opinion :)

Edit: Mary H who's a mod on here has two vets that dental work without anaesthetic too, in London :)

i hope she gets better soon. you're doing the right things definitely. well done! O0 O0 getting in touch with a rodentologist from the cavy trust would be good, or even just having a chat to them. good luck hun, big hugs and kisses to both of you. it must be hard. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I have spoken to Vedra and it appears that Molly's incisors may have been cut too short hence why she can't eat. I have mentioned this to the vet on a number of occasions who has repeatedly said that this is not a problem as they can use their lips even if their teeth are too short. I feel terrible now but I have the number of a rodentologist in Gillingham which is only 30 minutes away so hopefully all will be sorted out. Vedra thinks there may be an underlying cause which also needs to be investigated.

Many thanks for the advice and so quick!

Cut the food into slithers and try feeding it or cut into chunks and put it on the back teeth. There's usually an underlying cause with teeth probs, maybe its not evident yet. Try and remember what 'shape' the Incisors were before they were clipped eg straight edge or other. Don't worry if you can't and don't blame yourself. The quicker you catch these things the easier they are to treat.
Keep us posted :)

if she is on antibiotics, did your vet give you pro biotics too?

She is on Baytril but I have not been given probiotics only the recovery diet.

Science Recovery is very good but I feel that it should not be given exclusively for more than 2 or 3 days.I put some dry mix into a coffee grinder and make a fine powder which I mix with warm water.(thick soup consistency) then mix 2 or 3 teaspoonfuls of Recovery in.I also liquidize veg,and feed in between the dry mix.This gives a near normal diet. Mashed banana is good as well.I sometimes buy the organic jars of baby liquidized veg.The favourite is the potato and carrot.

For the sore mouth,use Daktarin oral gel 3 times a day.A blob the size of a pea straight into the mouth.Give the gel a chance to melt before feeding.After syringe feeding give a few mls of water to was the mouth out,because any food stuck round the teeth could set up an infection.

Science recovery contains a probiotic so there is probably no need for more.If you do decide to give one Bio-Lapis is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back