• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig not eating after being spayed

Chloe1529

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

My Guinea pig Daisy is 5 years old and 6 days ago she was spayed due to recommendations from vet because of hormonal changes. She hadn’t returned to her usual eating/ behaviour after a couple days so on the follow up appointment we expressed these concerns and was told it can be normal and so they prescribed Loxicom and Emeprid for 5 days and told us to continue with syringe feeding her, we are now nearly at the end of that 5 days and Daisy is still not eating by herself except for now a few nibbles of lettuce every once in a while. She is getting better at taking the syringe food now. She doesn’t want her pellets or hay which she usually adores. She will walk around the cage and interact with the other Guinea pigs but spends a lot of the day hiding in her house. She doesn’t seem lethargic though. Her poo’s are less frequent and a different shape but was told by the vet that can be normal for now. I have another appointment for her tomorrow but I just feel hopeless and don’t know what to do. Any advice or recommendations welcome.

Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily during her recovery. This enables you to ensure you are getting a sufficient amount of syringe feed into her each day.
Do you know how much syringe feed she is taking each day? You are aiming for around 60-90ml per day if she isn’t eating hay for herself.

Hopefully the vet can shed some light on what might be going on tomorrow. In the meantime, Our syringe feeding guide is below to help you

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Back