• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Not Eating 4+ Weeks

meeks

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all. We have a female (1yr old) guinea pig Roxy who is a live wire, super sociable piggy.

At the start of the year (January) she had an ear infection that caused her to have a head tilt (left side). A course of Baytrill seemingly resolved this, although it took a while to get her back to full health. We suspected that somehow her ear drum had burst due to the infection and that is why it took so long for her to recover.

Over 4 weeks ago we noticed a change in her behaviour again, becoming more sedentary and seemingly favouring softer food/hay. We took her to the vet (Ashgrove) and after looking at her teeth concluded malocclusion, put her under anaesthetic that day and filed her teeth.

Syringe feeding after went okay - refusing to eat anything hard though, but we also noticed she had a dent in her left eye (presumably from a hay poke when she was inside the cat carrier she is taken to/from the vet and at the vet waiting before and and after the operation. This also was accompanied with a fast twitch under the eye, which moved later to her cheek, and then later to the left side of her lip.

Anti-biotic eye drops and cornea gel was prescribed to cure the eye, but she still wasn't eating and the eye developed an ulcer.

A further series of x-rays and anaesthetics after 2 weeks - maloclussion was ruled out, and a middle ear infection was diagnosed (initially thought to be/looking for an abscess) but a swab test was taken and results came back 10 days later for Strep - which the vet said was not a smoking gun). By this point we were already treating for a middle ear infection with both Septrin and Metronidazole.

With all this, there is still a ~2 degree difference in ear temperatures (laser thermometer) - although down from ~6, two or so weeks ago.

We are now into our fourth week of constant syringe feeding (mashed pellets, pro fibre, fibreplex, oxbow vit c/multivit tablets, blendered veggies, oats), she is still refusing to eat anything on her own and are at a loss as to what to do. It is a struggle to maintain her weight (ranging from 680 to 720g). Her eye is stubbornly refusing to heal (a different gel and drops are used now), it appears her eye isn't producing tear drops so dries out if left alone. We are now speculating trigeminal nerve damage resulting from the infection to explain all the symptoms?

But more simply, when she eats (I finely chop up carrots and other veggies in the syringe), there is still an unnatural sound - a grating that has been present since the original operation. Our current vet has referred us to Edinburgh for a CT scan but we've been told it may take weeks to get an appointment.

Could it be that it was in fact a middle ear infection, that is just hard to reach with antibiotics but she is improving and now after 4 weeks of syringe feeding her teeth have grown out again due to almost no wear and she has just gotten used to not eating normally? She can mash herself into a soft strawberry or the middle of a cucumber but she's seemingly giving up even trying now... Would a CT scan confirm anything for us or is this just our vet trying to pass us on? We are in the process of getting a second opinion at other local vets but our vet has been faultless in the many years we've used them...

Has anyone experienced something like this or have any advice for us?

Thank you for reading this,
Richard

I’m sorry you are going through this with your piggie. I am not one of the health experts however Bert was diagnosed with a middle ear infection after I opted for a CT scan. I appreciate this is not an option available to everyone though. He was on Eradia/metronizadole and Marbocyl antibiotics for 8 weeks and it took a couple of weeks beyond this for him to start eating on his own without critical care. First grass then finally hay. He did not have any associated symptoms like Roxy though.

Hopefully a health expert will be along shortly to offer advice. Thinking of you and Roxy x

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry it's in these circumstances. I am also not one of the experts but I do know of members who have needed to syringe feed for eight weeks or so. Did your vet recommend critical care, emeraid or similar as these are designed to replace food and supply everything they need nutritionally?
An expert will be along soon with advice.

I’m sorry you are going through this with your piggie. I am not one of the health experts however Bert was diagnosed with a middle ear infection after I opted for a CT scan. I appreciate this is not an option available to everyone though. He was on Eradia/metronizadole and Marbocyl antibiotics for 8 weeks and it took a couple of weeks beyond this for him to start eating on his own without critical care. First grass then finally hay. He did not have any associated symptoms like Roxy though.

Hopefully a health expert will be along shortly to offer advice. Thinking of you and Roxy x
Thanks for responding. We have managed to organise a potential CT scan for next week (Thursday) at a local vet - it would appear our vet misled (knowingly or not) us about the availability of a CT scanner... It is a relief to hear that your piggie could weather such a long period of antibiotics and syringe feeding.

How did you manage your time and feeding schedule? Were you mainly feeding Bert critical care or other things too? My partner and I both work and have to leave Roxy for 6 hours (more depending on the day), so we are waking up at night to feed to make sure her weight doesn't drop further as she's already so small..

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry it's in these circumstances. I am also not one of the experts but I do know of members who have needed to syringe feed for eight weeks or so. Did your vet recommend critical care, emeraid or similar as these are designed to replace food and supply everything they need nutritionally?
An expert will be along soon with advice.

Thank you for your message. Yes we have critical care (both apple and aniseed) but she gets sick of these and refuses to eat them all day, so we' been making our own critical care with pellets, crushed oxbow vitamin c/multivitamins, oats (for extra calories), pro fiber (probiotic), fibreplex (probiotic) using blendered vegetables (cucumber, pepper, apple) as the liquid to encourage her to eat. She always was a fussy pig who demanded a variety of snacks and would take bites out of each (salad lady).

Thanks for responding. We have managed to organise a potential CT scan for next week (Thursday) at a local vet - it would appear our vet misled (knowingly or not) us about the availability of a CT scanner... It is a relief to hear that your piggie could weather such a long period of antibiotics and syringe feeding.

How did you manage your time and feeding schedule? Were you mainly feeding Bert critical care or other things too? My partner and I both work and have to leave Roxy for 6 hours (more depending on the day), so we are waking up at night to feed to make sure her weight doesn't drop further as she's already so small..

Thank you for your message. Yes we have critical care (both apple and aniseed) but she gets sick of these and refuses to eat them all day, so we' been making our own critical care with pellets, crushed oxbow vitamin c/multivitamins, oats (for extra calories), pro fiber (probiotic), fibreplex (probiotic) using blendered vegetables (cucumber, pepper, apple) as the liquid to encourage her to eat. She always was a fussy pig who demanded a variety of snacks and would take bites out of each (salad lady).
Bert was on critical care the whole time. He always had unlimited hay but didn’t show much interest for several weeks. I also fed him his usual portion size of veggies and some grass - which again he didn’t show much enthusiasm for to start with - but it was the critical care that gave him the important nutrition whilst his appetite was affected. Gradually he started eating veg and grass. I had to switch between Emeraid, Burgess Dual Care and Oxbow as some days he decided that what was ok yesterday was not ok today. Due to my schedule I was able to feed him at reasonably regular intervals though. You do need to try and get enough rest for yourself too but I appreciate this is hard when you’re out working. There are excellent guides to feeding which I’ve tried to attach below 🤞

Hopefully a health expert will be along shortly to respond to your original post.

Thread 'How to Improvise Feeding Support in an Emergency'
How to Improvise Feeding Support in an Emergency
Thread 'All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures'
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Hi

Glad that you have managed to rustle up a scan so you know better where you stand and can make any decisions on a sounder basis.

Teeth can overgrow again rather quickly if they are not ground down. Ideally there is a follow up dental every 2-3 weeks (with gradually growing intervals) until the teeth have normalised or for as long as the cause is not dealt with. But this is a very contested area and conscious dentals are generally refused but it leaves piggies with long term issues very much stranded if you cannot get as far as the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton, which is a bit too far for you. I know of a piggy from Edinburgh who regularly made the journey but Aberdeen is quite a long way further up. :(

If your piggy has an appetite, then you can feed pellet mush, a mix with recovery formula, with a little mashed banana or other juiced veg to vary as long as at least three quarters of what you feed in a day are hay based in order to not derail thedigestive system. Any additions depend on what your piggy likes best and what works with them; it is very much down to the personal taste so there is no hard or fast rule.

Wishing you all the best.

We have been looking through the forum and found someone describing the twitching and eye problems we saw:
Help! Face twitching/vibrating on one side!

Pointing to a calcified bulla:
Calcified Bulla Info

Roxy had a runny nose and sneezing and we were given anti-histamines which seemed to help - this was last year (November time).
The list of symptoms Roxy has had that match the list in that link:
Runny Nose - One or Both Nostrils
Drooping lips on one side
Missing Blink Reflex (usually one eye)
Ulcerated eye
Head Tilt
Vertigo
Wobbling
Going in Circles
Sneezing
Ear Twitches
Weak Bite Strength often characterized by the inability to put food in the mouth despite trying
Falling Over
Molar Issues – Recurring dental work
Loose stool from recurring antibiotic use including permanent damage

From our X-rays (attached), it looks almost exactly like the images from the LA guinea site but we don't know exactly what we're looking at.

Attachments

• 1.43869-1_roxy_YYYYMMDD_00_0000_0000 (1).webp
    1.43869-1_roxy_YYYYMMDD_00_0000_0000 (1).webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.43869-1_Roxy_YYYYMMDD_00_0000_0000.webp
    1.43869-1_Roxy_YYYYMMDD_00_0000_0000.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.43869-1_roxy_YYYYMMDD_01_0000_0000.webp
    1.43869-1_roxy_YYYYMMDD_01_0000_0000.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 2
We have been looking through the forum and found someone describing the twitching and eye problems we saw:
Help! Face twitching/vibrating on one side!

Pointing to a calcified bulla:
Calcified Bulla Info

Roxy had a runny nose and sneezing and we were given anti-histamines which seemed to help - this was last year (November time).
The list of symptoms Roxy has had that match the list in that link:
Runny Nose - One or Both Nostrils
Drooping lips on one side
Missing Blink Reflex (usually one eye)
Ulcerated eye
Head Tilt
Vertigo
Wobbling
Going in Circles
Sneezing
Ear Twitches
Weak Bite Strength often characterized by the inability to put food in the mouth despite trying
Falling Over
Molar Issues – Recurring dental work
Loose stool from recurring antibiotic use including permanent damage

From our X-rays (attached), it looks almost exactly like the images from the LA guinea site but we don't know exactly what we're looking at.

Hi

HUGS

The middle ear middle capsules (bullas) in your x-ray are looking like two large solid lumps at the back of the head indeed. They should appear black in a normal x-ray with just a very faint ring; yours are the worst and most advanced I have seen so far. I am very sorry.
You may want to bring the link to your vet's attention. Unfortunately, it is not good news because it is not treatable or curable health issue. 'Encapsulated' or 'walled-in' translates as 'medically unreachable'. :(

Middle ear infections are comparatively much rarer here in Europe than in the USA due to less stringent trade standard regulations and enforcement so we see perhaps one UK/European case with further developed symptoms on this forum in a year. Of course we catch only a small percentage but we still see enough widely varied health enquiries in a year to get a halfway decent representational sample of how common the various problems are in different countries.
Unfortunately, there is currently an epidemic of un-or undertreated commercially mass bred pet shop stock in the USA which means URIs are rife and are finding ideal transmission conditions with young, stress piggies kept in close proximity, many of which are never treated by their new owners or properly diagnosed by vets if seen, which means that the infection can track further on into the middle ear, especially with a low infection load. URIs in UK chain shops have been eliminated over a decade ago and are very rare in piggies bought in pets@home these days.

A certain age related amount of calcification especially in older piggies is normal and earlier stages in Europe are usually correctly identified as middle ear infections and treated as such. But again, we see perhaps a couple of cases of the milder/less advances forms from UK/European members on here in a year.

Hi Wiebke, thank you for your post.

An update on Roxy..

We took her for a CT scan last week, and her condition worsened after coming off the anaesthetic - the head tilt now a significant leaning to the left and difficulty walking around. Cerenia (nausea tablets) were prescribed as a last attempt to help her and buy more time for the antibiotics to work but the results of the CT scan have pretty much confirmed they wont. She has learned to love the syringe feeding and slurps them down, and with our day left with her she is getting all sorts of goodies turned into a slurry to mix with the critical care - she always was a sweet tooth. Its brutal because she still has fight in her but it is a battle she cannot win.

I am going to attach the images we have taken from the CT scan as well as the CT scan itself in the hope that Roxy and her data can be used to help others in the future and contribute to the research on CBS.

A google drive link to the CT scan (545 images) is linked below. There are two scans in here: one regular, and one with a contrast injected into her to see soft tissue more clearly. Use a Dicom viewer to view the scan easily - we used RadiAnt.
Link:
CT-Roxy-Guinea-CBS – Google Drive

We took some screenshots of it ourselves which I'll post below:
1720693280587.webp
Above is the "Airways" Settings (top view) - you can see on her left side the outer ear, ear drum, inner ear. On her right side there is almost no empty space in the inner ear.
1720693382869.webp
Airways isolated the ear area only, you can see more clearly the difference between left and right ears.
1720693493128.webp
Green is mass density overlayed with the airways we saw previously. You can see her left bulla (right side of the image) has a dense spot but the airway fills the bulla, and on her right bulla (left side of image) the mass is dense, almost as dense as her bones themselves.
1720693653397.webp
Her left ear bulla closer and isolated view.
1720693710356.webp
Her right ear closer and isolated.
1720693761783.webp
Her right ear alternate angle. Both of these clearly show the significant calcification of her inner ear and the lack of space inside shows the infection occupying that space.

Thank you,
Richard

I am very sorry that any medication is not working and that the GA for the scan has made the heat tilt worse but at least you have now confirmation of what is exactly going on and can take it from there in terms of her quality and will to live.

Thank you for sharing. The scan pictures are fascinating if not exactly what you want to see. Diagnostics have come on so much over the last decade

PS: We have got our own guide to CBS (with Saskia's informtion sheet) and other neurological problems on here since symptoms overlap.
CBS (Calcified Bulla Syndrome) and Neurological Problems - Symptoms and Care

The best way to find any forum information guides listed thematically is via the Guinea Pig Info link on the extended top bar or by bookmarking this link here: Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

Back