Guinea Pig Nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey Guys

My friend told me that you could file down a guinea pig's nails instead of buying a special nail clippers for guinea pigs. I went out and bought a pack of two for a cheap price and I started to file down Cookie's nails and it worked a bit but I was worried that you shouldn't and it wasn't safe so I stopped. It is safe isn't it?

I've never actually heard of filing a piggies nails, I'm sure someone else experienced will know.
I personally think it's best and quicker to use clippers, the job is done in one small clip.

I've never actually heard of filing a piggies nails, I'm sure someone else experienced will know.
I personally think it's best and quicker to use clippers, the job is done in one small clip.
I agree with @Chief Guinea Pig clipping is better, as it is just one clip. If you think about it, we only file our nails to shape them, if we need to reduce the length, we would cut them.

I agree with @Chief Guinea Pig clipping is better, as it is just one clip. If you think about it, we only file our nails to shape them, if we need to reduce the length, we would cut them.
The piggies could also lick them, and filing them with a file would also give off that horrible scent.

I've heard of people with skinny pigs filing after clipping to remove any sharp edges so that the pig wouldn't accidentally scratch themselves while itching. I suppose you could for regular pigs but you still have to be careful of hitting the kwik while filing.

U can pick up a battery operated pet nail filer/dremel type sander looking thing from the 99p stores. I have yet to use it as their nails weren't long enough but today I got a few scratches from their talons so will try it soon!

As A Huge Nail art fanatic myself (ONLY natural nails I do not use acrylic or gel) I have tried filing my piggies nails as I tend to file my own in order to shorten them just as much as I cut them. My only advice on this is, yes it is hard to keep piggies still long enough to do it and you need a good file as they are thicker and stronger than human nails. (I would advise against electric files as they are too rough and designed for acrylic(plastic) nails and the noise would prob unnerve piggy more. i own an electric one so I know they are too rough. And I would advise against the old fashioned metal files.) A good rough and soft edged double sided normal file should be good but they won't work quickly and holding piggies paws against the back and forth motion is fiddley. But as the others have said keep an eye out for the kwik. good luck if you do try it but don't expect it to be much easier unless your piggy is calm and patient and happy to be held like that.

I agree that it is hard enough trying to hold a piggy still to even snip their nails so the added noise from a electric filer would probably make them nervous. I am going to try anyhow but I imagine it is much quicker just to cut them and be done with it. I have been concerned with them cutting themselves with the unfiled nail but what can you do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back