Guinea pig muesli

Amyrose1978

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We can't find any guinea pig muesli, would this be ok? It's the mix I get for my rats.

No11 mixtures are all a Straights Based diet suitable for all rats. Kittens under the age of 12 weeks will need additional protein to aid growth.

No11 is made using our kidney friendly Base Mix No3, with either soya flakes or egg biscuit as the protein source and a selection of additional ingredients to offer variety. No11 includes all the component parts of a homemade mixture based on the Shunamite style diet

A supplement should be offered once or twice a week as most homemade mixtures are deficient in Calcium, Copper and Vitamin D.

Our DailyRat3 provides these in an easy to use powder form. We have found that mixing it into yoghurt or a wet meal such as fish or scrambled egg is the easiest way to ensure it is taken.

A water based option is to use DrS Daily Essentials 1 along with Dr.S Calcivet.

No11 is not available as a No Garlic option

Ingredients
  • paddy rice
  • whole barley
  • flaked barley
  • flaked maize
  • flaked peas
  • white dari
  • mixed millet
  • buckwheat
  • flaked buckwheat
  • brown basmati rice
  • flaked soya
  • seed mix (hemp, pumpkin seed, linseed, milk thistle, fennel, white quinoa)
  • mixed cereals (bite size wheat pillows, crisped rice, cornflakes, spelt puffs, mixed puffs)
  • dried mixed vegetable
  • carrot flakes
  • dandelion leaf
  • garlic
  • kelp pieces
  • red bell pepper
  • coconut
  • currants
  • cranberries
  • mixed berries
  • carob (locust bean)
No11 also contains a selection of the following subject to availability

• chickweed
  • raspberry leaves
  • beetroot pieces
  • spearmint
  • small diced pineapple pieces
  • sultana
  • lemon balm
  • blackberry leaf
  • tomato flakes
  • basil
  • raisins

Muesli isn't recommended as it encourages picky eating. A good quality pellet is much better. Mine have Science Selective grain free. They have a tablespoon per piggy per day.

Rats have completely different dietary requirements to guinea pigs so you need to get the correct food for guinea pigs.

Please do not feed rat muesli to guinea pigs - it is entirely the wrong thing.

However, it is also important to mention that mueslis should also not be fed to guinea pigs. Guinea pigs need a plain timothy hay/grass based pellet.

Something like Burgess excel, Harrington’s, science selective grain free…there are many others but please don’t feed mueslies to guinea pigs as they contain far too much sugar, not enough fibre and encourage selective feeding (they pick up the unhealthy bits)

Pellets Or Muesli / Dry Mix?

If you are based in the UK any large chain pet store will sell decent quality guinea pig food, and it is also readily available online from places like Zooplus.

As others have already said rats and guinea pigs have very different nutritional requirements, so feeding rat food would not be appropriate.

Thank you, they only have a handful of guinea pig muesli scattered in cage every other day. They always have hay to graze on, plus their veggies.

I knew there's stuff they can have but rat's can't which is why I queried it before giving it to them.

If you are based in the UK any large chain pet store will sell decent quality guinea pig food, and it is also readily available online from places like Zooplus.

As others have already said rats and guinea pigs have very different nutritional requirements, so feeding rat food would not be appropriate.
Unfortunately our local pets at home, b&m, the range and poundstretcher are all out of guinea pig muesli.

Still best to not give muesli. The ingredients in them are not appropriate.
Choose a plain pellet instead.
A tablespoon of plain timothy based pellets per pig per day is sufficient to meet their nutritional needs.

This is a list of the pellet brands which are suitable
Nugget Comparison Chart

I'd choose a good quality pellet over muesli anyway, as the others have said muesli encourages elective feeding and often contains poor quality ingredients.
The rat muesli definitely isn't suitable, sorry. Things like rice, soya, currants and raisins are not suitable for guinea pigs at all.
Can you not buy online?

Fellow rat owner here. While rat rations have a great variety of mixes for rats which many of us swear by, the same can't be said for guinea pigs.

Muesli is junk food for guinea pigs. Yes they'll eat it and some go crazy for it, it's like taking a child McDonald's Vs giving them a healthy salad.

Rats eat a variety of foods as you know and are omnivores. Pretty much anything we eat, they can eat and they have adapted to thrive off a variety of foods. Rats inhabit every continent except the Antarctic.

Guinea pigs are herbivores and are only found in and around Peru, South America. They have adapted to eat various grasses, plants and occasional flowers. The domesticated piggies diet should reflect this.

The only item suitable in a muesli mix is the Timothy pellets. Seeds, nuts and whatever else is thrown in isn't suitable. In the mix you mentioned above, the only suitable ingredients are the chickweed, basil, blackberry/raspberry/dandelion leaves and a few of the veggies. They wouldn't naturally eat any of the other ingredients.

As a pet owner, I try and keep the diet as close to the wild diet as possible. This is what they have adapted to eat and they thrive on it.

A guinea pigs diet is 80% grass hay, 15% veggies and only 5% pellets. They can easily live without pellets and mine get no more than a tablespoon of pellets each every other day.

As you mentioned rat rations, if you go to their pet specific foods and look under guinea pig, bothe the versele laga and science selective naturals (grain free one) are suitable and recommended foods. 😊

Guinea pig Muslie is very high in sugar learnt this very early on! I feed lots of hay, veg twice daily and one very small bowl of brown plain pellets between 4 piggies once a day. The bowl is less than the size of my palm and really hay makes up most of their diet.

Even every other day muesli shouldn't be fed just pick up plain pellets instead.

Back