• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig making mouth smacking sounds?

gayfurryclown

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggy, Kinoya, or Kino for short, has been making strange mouth-smacking noises, sometimes paired with spitting out food. I’ve noticed both of my piggies doing this before—but rarely, and assumed it was normal. Sometimes you just get something stuck in your upper cheek and have to get it out.
That being said, Kino’s been doing it almost on a daily basis lately and I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not. I found a different thread on here from 2020 about the same thing but it doesn’t seem to have a resolution.

Not sure how I could better explain the smacking, but luckily, I actually do have a video of my other pig, Fen, doing it. Here it is.
(It’s a Google Drive link. Couldn’t figure out how to attach videos, or if it’s even possible.)

Thank you :)

My piggy, Kinoya, or Kino for short, has been making strange mouth-smacking noises, sometimes paired with spitting out food. I’ve noticed both of my piggies doing this before—but rarely, and assumed it was normal. Sometimes you just get something stuck in your upper cheek and have to get it out.
That being said, Kino’s been doing it almost on a daily basis lately and I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not. I found a different thread on here from 2020 about the same thing but it doesn’t seem to have a resolution.

Not sure how I could better explain the smacking, but luckily, I actually do have a video of my other pig, Fen, doing it. Here it is.
(It’s a Google Drive link. Couldn’t figure out how to attach videos, or if it’s even possible.)

Thank you :)

Hi

That is nothing to worry about unless your piggies try to do it outside eating when it means that something has stuck. This is a most likely a greedy eater not cutting down their food enough before trying to swallow it and then chewing it right at the very back of the mouth trying to get it down.

If it happens more regularly, I would recommend having the back of the mouth checked.

The price of having total control over our not for profit forum outside of social is that a full supported video upload would cost a lot more than our voluntary member donations would cover. You have to upload the video on a puplic setting on a platform that doesn't require a member sign in and then copy it across; youtube seems to be the one that can be accessed by most on here. We do have quite a number of members who are not active on social media or only active in a limited way for their own wellbeing or by choice.
But we still think the price not having a direct video upload is worth being able to create a friendly and supportive community that is not at risk of arbitrary rule changes or closures. ;)

Hi

That is nothing to worry about unless your piggies try to do it outside eating when it means that something has stuck. This is a most likely a greedy eater not cutting down their food enough before trying to swallow it and then chewing it right at the very back of the mouth trying to get it down.

If it happens more regularly, I would recommend having the back of the mouth checked.

The price of having total control over our not for profit forum outside of social is that a full supported video upload would cost a lot more than our voluntary member donations would cover. You have to upload the video on a puplic setting on a platform that doesn't require a member sign in and then copy it across; youtube seems to be the one that can be accessed by most on here. We do have quite a number of members who are not active on social media or only active in a limited way for their own wellbeing or by choice.
But we still think the price not having a direct video upload is worth being able to create a friendly and supportive community that is not at risk of arbitrary rule changes or closures. ;)
Fully agree with you on that! Here’s a YouTube link to the video instead.

Thank you for your input, by the way. You definitely guessed right on her being a greedy eater lmao. She almost always chokes on her food and has to cough it up and I got worried she had dental/throat problems. Spent 780 SEK (57 quid) for the vet to tell me she just loves to stuff her little face full lol.

Fully agree with you on that! Here’s a YouTube link to the video instead.

Thank you for your input, by the way. You definitely guessed right on her being a greedy eater lmao. She almost always chokes on her food and has to cough it up and I got worried she had dental/throat problems. Spent 780 SEK (57 quid) for the vet to tell me she just loves to stuff her little face full lol.

I was able to watch your first video (and yes, I have had some very greedy eaters over the years, too) but not the youtube upload.

Back