Guinea pig magazine

Hello! I was wondering, is The Guinea Pig Magazine a reliable source to learn from? I just wanted to check so then I wouldn't get any knowledge from it that is wrong.

Thanks a bunch <3

View attachment 185033

Hi!

Yes, it is a reliable source of information but also has got plenty of fun in there, too.

I think I should be able to say so since I have been contributing for 9 of its 10 years of existence and am still doing so. The medical and welfare articles are all written by very knowledgeable people and we have a highly qualified Questions&Answers team, too.

Some of the very early articles are in part now somewhat outdated since a lot has changed over the last decade but most have stood the test of time. We wouldn't advertise the magazine on the home page of the forum if we didn't think that it was a good production. ;)

You are lucky; the new issue is just coming out now. :tu:

Hi!

Yes, it is a reliable source of information but also has got plenty of fun in there, too.

I think I should be able to say so since I have been contributing for 9 of its 10 years of existence and am still doing so. The medical and welfare articles are all written by very knowledgeable people and we have a highly qualified Questions&Answers team, too.

Some of the very early articles are in part now somewhat outdated since a lot has changed over the last decade but most have stood the test of time. We wouldn't advertise the magazine on the home page of the forum if we didn't think that it was a good production. ;)

Thank you for letting me know as there are some sources who put out false info :lol:

Thank you for letting me know as there are some sources who put out false info :lol:

Sadly too many places still hand out sub-standard advice. :(

I hope that you are aware of our own extensive information resource here on the forum? It is one of the most comprehensive currently around. You can access our information guides laid out in order anytime via the Guides shortcut on the top bar.

Here is our New Owners information collection, which you may want to bookmark, browse, read and re-read: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Hi!

Wow I am in awe of you Wiekbe - how do you fit everything in ? Super person springs to mind. Not only are you advising all of us, ( not to mention being a staff member and moderator for TGPF), looking after your family including the furry ones , supporting guinea pigs in Germany but ….you write for the guinea pig magazine too …..and I’m sure that’s not even close to what you really do. Thank goodness there are people like you in this wonderful world of guinea piggies. Thank you Wiekbe 🥰

Wow I am in awe of you Wiekbe - how do you fit everything in ? Super person springs to mind. Not only are you advising all of us, ( not to mention being a staff member and moderator for TGPF), looking after your family including the furry ones , supporting guinea pigs in Germany but ….you write for the guinea pig magazine too …..and I’m sure that’s not even close to what you really do. Thank goodness there are people like you in this wonderful world of guinea piggies. Thank you Wiekbe 🥰
Thank you!

I hope that you like my articles in Guinea Pig Magazine. They cover mainly the wide field of guinea pig social interaction, human-cavy interaction and some ownership aspects.

My current article series 'The Herd, the Group and I' revolves around social identity and navigating the different levels of the social guinea pig world, which is a lot more complex than most people expect and which very much underpins the guinea behaviour and all the specific dos and don'ts around guinea pigs. They suddenly make a lot more sense when you look at them not from a pet owner's angle but from a social species angle. ;)

The first articles are now available (#1 in issue 63 (July): 'The Herd and I' is about self-awareness and the different social levels that guinea pigs are wired to operate in. Article #2 in the new issue 64 ( September): 'Herd Behaviours' is about exactly that - what are herd behaviours and where do we see them in our own pets?). I am currently working on the next article for the November issue, which will be about 'The Group and I'; about some aspects of social identity within the group and how it works.
You may want to put a subscription of Guinea Pig Magazine on your Christmas wish list if you haven't got one yet! :D

I am also responsible for some other content in the magazine, including filling the four pages of Adoptables adverts (involving speaking to lots of busy rescue people all over world and not just in the UK in very different time zones), so if you don't see me around the forum quite as much in the next 2-3 weeks then it is because we are in manic deadlines country with the next issue to make sure that it goes to the printers on time with everything in it that should be there!

Last year, I followed a piggy life through all ages from birth until death with their age specific developments and concerns.

Back