• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig lost weight and front teeth

Myana :D

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hellowww ! I have a guinea pig hes 1 year and 8 months. He had diarrhea on friday, and then a impaction on saturday and went to the vet sunday and got critical care, inflammatory meds and vitamin c medicine. At the vet he was very stressed and irritated, and at his second appointment on monday, monday night his fron toothies fell out. I didn't panic because he was still happy and active. I give him a bowl of small sliced veggies and he has some struggles to eat but he does! and ive noticed hes lost weight, hes pretty small, the vet said he was a little over 400 grams which is small compared to other guinea pigs, any tips to help him gain weight? and will his teeth be okay? i can supply any information needed

Yes 400g is very small for a piggy of his age (400g is the weight of a piggy a few weeks old).
At this point though, it is essential you syringe feed enough to stop him from losing any more weight.
Hay is 80% of their daily food intake and if he is not eating enough hay, then he will lose weight. You need to syringe feed enough critical care in each 24 hour period to replace any reduction in his hay intake and keep his weight stable each day (you need to make sure you weigh him once every day).

How much weight has he lost?
Does he still have diarrhoea? If he does, then do not give him any more vegetables until his poops go back to normal.

At this point make sure he is still able to eat hay - hay is the most vital thing for him to be able to eat - and if he isn’t eating enough, then you need to replace that with syringe feeding the critical care.
If his diarrhoea has stopped, then he can have veg, but given he has lost his teeth, then you may need to cut them into match sticks so he can pick them up.

He will gain weight through having a good hay based diet but it will take time.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

I'm not sure how much weight hes lost, but maybe like 100 or 200 grams? and he doesnt have diarrhea anymore, its normal pellets, and I'm not very sure if hes able to eat hay but i do feed him with a syringe of critical care mixed with water and sometimes he doesnt wanna eat it but mostly he does

I'm not sure how much weight hes lost, but maybe like 100 or 200 grams? and he doesnt have diarrhea anymore, its normal pellets, and I'm not very sure if hes able to eat hay but i do feed him with a syringe of critical care mixed with water and sometimes he doesnt wanna eat it but mostly he does

Hi and welcome

Please persist with syringe feeding. Take the time ro read our very practical guide with lots of tips and how to advice:

Keep in mind that with all incisors lost your boy really struggles to pick up any food. How long since he has lost them and how far down have they been broken?

You need to make sure you weigh him yourself at home every day on kitchen scales while he is unwell. 100-200g is a lot (50 grams of loss is that point at which you need to go on alert).
You then need to syringe feed as much critical care as is necessary to keep his weight stable at each daily weight check. This is essential. If he continues to lose weight, then he needs to be syringe fed more. He could need to be fed every two hours if he isn’t able to eat hay, and at least 40-60ml of critical care in each 24 hour period. As I say though it’s the daily weight checks which are your guide as to how much he needs to be fed.

(Once he is better you go back to weighing him once a week at home yourself as part of routine care).

Putting weight back on will take a lot longer, particularly if he has lost a lot.
Does the vet know how teeth fell out? Is there still any part of the teeth visible?

Hi and welcome

Please persist with syringe feeding. Take the time ro read our very practical guide with lots of tips and how to advice:

Keep in mind that with all incisors lost your boy really struggles to pick up any food. How long since he has lost them and how far down have they been broken?
he lost his teeth on monday, and they said it may have fell out from stress and low vitamin c

You need to make sure you weigh him yourself at home every day on kitchen scales while he is unwell. 100-200g is a lot (50 grams of loss is that point at which you need to go on alert).
You then need to syringe feed as much critical care as is necessary to keep his weight stable at each daily weight check. This is essential. If he continues to lose weight, then he needs to be syringe fed more. He could need to be fed every two hours if he isn’t able to eat hay, and at least 40-60ml of critical care in each 24 hour period. As I say though it’s the daily weight checks which are your guide as to how much he needs to be fed.

(Once he is better you go back to weighing him once a week at home yourself as part of routine care).

Putting weight back on will take a lot longer, particularly if he has lost a lot.
Does the vet know how teeth fell out? Is there still any part of the teeth visible?
vet said it can be from stress and low vitamin c, and i do see some teeth growing in!

vet said it can be from stress and low vitamin c, and i do see some teeth growing in!

Monitor by weighing daily at the same time (I find first thing in the morning on your kitchen scales best for day to day comparison) so you'll know when the teeth are grown out enough that the tongue has purchase to trap any food against the incisors when picking it up. ;)

Monitor by weighing daily at the same time (I find first thing in the morning on your kitchen scales best for day to day comparison) so you'll know when the teeth are grown out enough that the tongue has purchase to trap any food against the incisors when picking it up. ;)
thank you alot :) I'm gonna start syringe feeding more, monitoring his weight and teeth! i hope everything works :luv:

thank you alot :) I'm gonna start syringe feeding more, monitoring his weight and teeth! i hope everything works :luv:

Try and see whether your piggy can slurp up the mix from a bowl; that will take a lot pressure off you to a good degree.

Back