Guinea Pig Lost His Cage Mate! What Should I Do? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesca_27

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

On 12th October 2016, my guinea pig, Toffee, passed away, probably from natural causes. I now have one guinea pig, Oreo. They were bonded very closely and have spent their whole lives together.

Oreo has since become very depressed. He will happily eat, as he has always been extremely food motivated. However, he just sleeps in his hay corner by his food bowl, not even in his giant bendy bridge house. I bought him a few new toys as a distraction, a guinea pig sized teddy and I left a fleece in there for a while, which smelled of Toffee. The fleece got very dirty though, so I had to bin it. I also try and leave the TV on, for a bit of extra noise. Oreo doesn't move around his cage as much as he used to, as well. He just seems so sad.

Adopting or fostering a friend doesn't look like an option for me, so I'd really appreciate some suggestions of how I can help Oreo. Oreo means a lot to me, especially since I lost Toffee.

Thank you

EDIT: I just want to add, Oreo lives inside with me, in my lounge and has done for the last couple of years. Also, he has suddenly become a lot more skittish when being held or just around people. Before Toffee died, he was the most laid-back guinea pig ever, but now he just doesn't enjoy cuddle time as much.

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss and understand that you are struggling with the thought of another guinea pig, but that is unfortunately what Oreo needs right now, in whatever form.
Unfortunately, a bereavement is often the time when your and your remaining guinea pig's needs differ most.

Thank you. I'm ok with getting another guinea pig and the thought of it, as I thought that's what Oreo needs most, but my parents opinions differ. They don't think it's a good idea, and because Oreo is very old they'd be stuck with a younger piggie, again on it's own for a long time.

Thank you. I'm ok with getting another guinea pig and the thought of it, as I thought that's what Oreo needs most, but my parents opinions differ. They don't think it's a good idea, and because Oreo is very old they'd be stuck with a younger piggie, again on it's own for a long time.

Some rescues are prepared to let you foster a rescue piggy for the life of Oreo before you return him to the rescue. Would your parents allow that? Or would you be prepared to contact a rescue to see whether they are willing to give him a space with their golden oldies for company; especially if you offer to pay for his upkeep and stay in regular contact for as long as he lives? Or perhaps a forum member has got a place for him to have permanent company, but you can stay in contact as the official owner?

I am very sorry; it is very frustating when you are up again family that doesn't see the need as you do! :(
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

Some rescues are prepared to let you foster a rescue piggy for the life of Oreo before you return him to the rescue. Would your parents allow that? Or would you be prepared to contact a rescue to see whether they are willing to give him a space with their golden oldies for company; especially if you offer to pay for his upkeep and stay in regular contact for as long as he lives? Or perhaps a forum member has got a place for him to have permanent company, but you can stay in contact as the official owner?

I am very sorry; it is very frustating when you are up again family that doesn't see the need as you do! :(
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

Thank you so much for your help. Oreo is currently dealing with a few health issues, but as soon as he is completely better, I think I will be able to look into getting a cage mate for him. I will need to discuss with my local rescue about what option would be best for him though. Giving him up is not an option, I am one of those people who when they get a pet, they care for it for its whole life. In the meantime, I will just be making sure he makes a full recovery.

If you get a mirror and place it in his cage he may think his image is another pig. Sometimes it works with pigs.

I hope you are able to work something out for him. Perhaps you could talk your parents into rehoming a pig of a similar age so that the cycle wouldn't restart again (I completely understand that, as I have two pigs of very different ages due to similar situations of losing a pig and adopting a baby- my present pair are 6.5 years and 2 years respectively. It's not a big issue, as I plan to keep on adopting pigs, but if I was looking to phase out of pig ownership I can see how it would be complicated.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back