• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig losing weight?

• Thread starter Thread starter Tracy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tracy

Hello again, my friend would like me to ask you all a question if you don't mind. She is very worried about one of her piggies. She has 3 boars (brothers) that have always been together, however one of them is losing weight and she's worried it's because he doesn't muscle in for food, he just lets the others get on with it. Apparently, he's always been a bit depressed. Should she try feeding him separately and then put him back in with the others? Maybe there's some vitamins or some other tip that will build him up again?

Thanks in advance, Tracy x

you could try feeding him seperatly but first i would try giving him his own food bowl... give the other boys their food then when theyre distracted by that give the other one his bowl...

Hope this helped :)

Please get his teeth checked out, i have just lost a piggie to teeth probs and the first sign was losing weight and then not attempting to get food... my vet went through other stuff before checking teeth and by the time they figured out it was actually the teeth, eds had lost over half her body weight and despite much syringe feeding, sadly passed away.

Thanks for your advice. I have taken it on board and will pass it on. I'm so sorry to hear about your litle one madpoppinpigs :( I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again, Tracy x

I lost my Billie to teeth problems as well

Weight loss should always be checked out by a vet

Ditto, toofie probs are hard to control you definitely need to be under a vets supervision :)
Best of luck to your friend and her piggie :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back