• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig losing hair down back?

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! Recently noticed that my older piggy (about 8) has very suddenly lost hair around her head and back. I took her to the vet where she was checked, given a treatment for mites and we also sent off a sample to test for ringworm (no result yet due to Christmas but the vet said it didn’t look like ringworm)

Today I noticed she’s lost more hair down her back although her head hair seems to be growing back, it seems totally bizarre to me but any ideas? She’s eating/drinking/pooping just fine

Attachments

• 326FC454-3097-409D-BA02-9BE3C9AB1551.webp
    326FC454-3097-409D-BA02-9BE3C9AB1551.webp
    109.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 4BE4E814-BB7E-4952-8059-B06B37A0EA58.webp
    4BE4E814-BB7E-4952-8059-B06B37A0EA58.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi all! Recently noticed that my older piggy (about 8) has very suddenly lost hair around her head and back. I took her to the vet where she was checked, given a treatment for mites and we also sent off a sample to test for ringworm (no result yet due to Christmas but the vet said it didn’t look like ringworm)

Today I noticed she’s lost more hair down her back although her head hair seems to be growing back, it seems totally bizarre to me but any ideas? She’s eating/drinking/pooping just fine

Hi

Perhaps you may want to check whether there is something that causes mechanical abrasion (rubbing the back against when sleeping or moving)? This hair loss pattern is more typical for that case than for mange mites.

Back