Guinea pig living environment advice - UK

Miniffer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, new to guinea pig care post 1980's and wondering if anyone can help. My ten year old son has his heart set on a guinea pig (now two for companions) or possibly a hamster. I've always liked GPs and think their temperament is much better suited to my son, but it's not the 80's anymore and I want to make sure we can give them a good home unlike what I fear my childhood ones had. However, we don't have a big house so having a permanent indoor set up year round, which looks perfect, would be awkward so I wanted to ideally have them in a garage/outdoors but that comes with other concerns.

We were thinking about buying below for 2 GPS.

Kavee 4 x 2 lidded run with lid as we have a cat.
Chartwell hutch 6ft (with access to the kavee)
Outdoor grass run - tbc

Wondering if below sounds possible for them to live in.

In winter/cooler months keep in a brick built garage - no vehicles, has five windows and daylight. Have hutch and access to the kavee for exercise and play/interactions etc. No heating in garage but thick walls and solid door/metal roof, not draughty and is dry.

In warmer months, when garage might feel too warm (as metal roof which makes garage warmer than outside temp) move to the hutch outside with access to a tbc run. We have a large grassed garden with shade from neighbours tall trees, I also work at a school so the main warmer months I'm home so can be supervised for long periods outdoors and not a known fox area (I've never seen any but there are cats) and shorter days for afternoon/evening time outside.

When it is too warm for outside (or too cold), use the kavee inside. Would it be confusing for them if they'd previously used the kavee with the hutch, or would they be happy to use kavee for sleeping in if they'd previously favoured hutch sleeping? I couldn't fit both inside.

I will get a remote thermometer so I can read the temp on my phone of the garage/hutch area.

If we need to offer indoors all year round and outdoors/garage plan doesn't seem suitable we won't go ahead with guineas but wanted to explore all options before I discussed with my son that it might not be possible.

Thank you very much for advice.

Welcome to the forum

It’s absolutely fine to keep them in the garage in winter but its best for them to be shut in the hutch at night for warmth.
A kavee (c&c) cage would be fine to use as a run during the day in the garage in winter.
A hutch needs to have covers for winter nights to keep warmth in - that can be blankets/an old duvet/ proper hutch covers.
Snugglesafe heat pads are essential.
Many people keep their piggies in garages or sheds year round (I’m one myself).

If you feel you need to bring them fully into the house because the garage gets too cold, then they can be just in a Kavee cage if they are safe from the cat.
If you are worried about them being in the Kavee cage, then bring the hutch indoors and leave them
In that. A 6ft hutch is plenty big enough.
What you can’t do is bring them into the house and take them back out to the garage repeatedly If there is a difference in temperature between the two spaces - piggies can’t be exposed to extreme (more than 5 degrees id say) temperature changes…if they are in the garage then leave them out there, if they have to come in the house then they have to stay in until the difference in temperature is similar (usually around spring time).

Mine live happily in my shed year round and it isn’t heated (but is insulated). I have runs on the lawn for summer time. This means that they don’t get out of their cages at all during winter as there is nowhere for them to go to!
I don’t tend to have any issues keeping mine warm enough in winter, my biggest challenge comes from summer when it’s too hot in the shed and still too hot to be in the hutch or run outside - they then have to come into the house during any heatwaves but that’s usually only temporary.

Its important to note that in summer a hutch outside can get rather hot so needs to be monitored also. Anything over 25 degrees is a risk. Remembering that a hutch can get hotter than the air temperature suggests - hot breezes pose a real danger eg it can be 23 degrees outside but if sunny my shed can easily hit 30 and then be a major risk.

I’ve added a link to our housing section as you will find lots of helpful guides on indoor and outdoor living and set ups

Housing, Enrichment and Seasonal care

I hope that helps

Welcome to the forum and we'll done for doing your research. I don't have much applicable advice as my Beastie Boys are kept indoors, but others do. Might I suggest looking into adopting rather than buying though.

I agree with that - absolutely adopt rather than buy where possible.

The only issue you may face is that we are at the end of the year for taking piggies outside who have lived inside until now. They simply don’t have time to acclimatise to outdoor conditions. Any piggy adopted much past the next week or so (hard to say exactly as we don’t know what the weather will do) would need to stay in a house until next spring before going into a hutch outside.
Normally indoor piggies move out around April/May and can then stay out year round after that.
It’s also the case that not all rescues will rehome to outdoor homes at all at any time of year

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. What a great place for gp advice. We would like to adopt if possible but where we live (we don't drive) the nearest adoption centre I could find was over twenty miles away which might be too stressful for a GP with indirect public transport involved to collect. We did see some adoption guineas in pets at home, we went this week for a summer meet the animals workshop as a test of do you really like them etc, so that might be an option. Noted on timing and transition of temps though, I hadn't considered that, so we may sit on plan until spring time which also gives son time to show his dedication to the process too and we don't start on the wrong foot with rushing. Thanks again.

Actually piggies travel very well and on public transport also.
There is one most knowledgable piggy vet in the country (in Northampton) which many members of the forum travel literally hours to get to - we have members who travel from Cornwall to get to this particular vet.

This is just one recent thread detailing how piggies travel across the country.

Taking piggies on public transport

We would encourage you to opt for that rather than a pets at home adoption simply because you get proper support and you can be certain the piggies from a rescue are properly bonded … but with that said all piggies need a home!
As long as you go into getting the piggies with your eyes open to potential issues if they come from anywhere other than a reputable rescue, then that is the main thing.

The guide below will also help you

Hi and welcome

Great for doing your research beforehand; especially as the average healthy life span of guinea pigs is 5-6 years but they can live longer.

In this world of changing climate, we either recommend indoors or an insulated shed. A hutch is not much fun to trudge out to in the rain, the cold and it is a death trap in the heat.

You may find our New Owners Information collection very helpful for your research. Together with practical advice and information on all possible aspects of guinea pig ownership, it has a whole chapter on housing with links to our member picture galleries of indoors cages and sheds:
Thank you so much everyone for your advice. What a great place for gp advice. We would like to adopt if possible but where we live (we don't drive) the nearest adoption centre I could find was over twenty miles away which might be too stressful for a GP with indirect public transport involved to collect. We did see some adoption guineas in pets at home, we went this week for a summer meet the animals workshop as a test of do you really like them etc, so that might be an option. Noted on timing and transition of temps though, I hadn't considered that, so we may sit on plan until spring time which also gives son time to show his dedication to the process too and we don't start on the wrong foot with rushing. Thanks again.

Hi

I live in Coventry and have used trains to adopt piggies from Keighley, via Cavy Corner in Doncaster (where I have attended their open day with piggies of mine for a mini-meet of adoptees from a particular large multi-rescue action on the South Coast and picked up another adoptee from their fosterer (a forum member) in Sheffield station, just to name what I have done via public transport in your area. ;)

My longest train journey with freshly adopted piggies was 5 hours from Sandwich on the East Coast of Kent via a change in London (mile foot walk between St Pancras and Euston) to Coventry - thankfully this involved just two direct trains so it was doable. Breila lived to 5 years and Cerian passed away around her 7th birthday earlier this year after her 5th adoption anniversary.

The youngest piggy I ever travelled with was an 8 weeks old (who lived to celebrate her 8th birthday) all the way from South Wales and the oldest was 9 years for one leg of a several days' emergency journey all the way from the Channel Islands to Liverpool as the result of the sudden breakdown of an abusive relationship; two other piggies from the same batch stayed on with me. The 9 year old lady lived for another few months. ;)

The only part of the UK I haven't adopted a piggy from is Northern Island and the Isle of Man. :)

But

Hi and welcome

Great for doing your research beforehand; especially as the average healthy life span of guinea pigs is 5-6 years but they can live longer.

In this world of changing climate, we either recommend indoors or an insulated shed. A hutch is not much fun to trudge out to in the rain, the cold and it is a death trap in the heat.

You may find our New Owners Information collection very helpful for your research. Together with practical advice and information on all possible aspects of guinea pig ownership, it has a whole chapter on housing with links to our member picture galleries of indoors cages and sheds:

Hi

I live in Coventry and have used trains to adopt piggies from Keighley, via Cavy Corner in Doncaster (where I have attended their open day with piggies of mine for a mini-meet of adoptees from a particular large multi-rescue action on the South Coast and picked up another adoptee from their fosterer (a forum member) in Sheffield station, just to name what I have done via public transport in your area. ;)

My longest train journey with freshly adopted piggies was 5 hours from Sandwich on the East Coast of Kent via a change in London (mile foot walk between St Pancras and Euston) to Coventry - thankfully this involved just two direct trains so it was doable. Breila lived to 5 years and Cerian passed away around her 7th birthday earlier this year after her 5th adoption anniversary.

The youngest piggy I ever travelled with was an 8 weeks old (who lived to celebrate her 8th birthday) all the way from South Wales and the oldest was 9 years for one leg of a several days' emergency journey all the way from the Channel Islands to Liverpool as the result of the sudden breakdown of an abusive relationship; two other piggies from the same batch stayed on with me. The 9 year old lady lived for another few months. ;)

The only part of the UK I haven't adopted a piggy from is Northern Island and the Isle of Man. :)

But
Oh that's great to know, Keighley was the one that came up for me. It's about 2 hours from us on public transport (we're in West Yorkshire but transport is not great) That's workable, I'd just worried they'd be sensitive to all the noises etc. Thank you.

Actually piggies travel very well and on public transport also.
There is one most knowledgable piggy vet in the country (in Northampton) which many members of the forum travel literally hours to get to - we have members who travel from Cornwall to get to this particular vet.

This is just one recent thread detailing how piggies travel across the country.

Taking piggies on public transport

We would encourage you to opt for that rather than a pets at home adoption simply because you get proper support and you can be certain the piggies from a rescue are properly bonded … but with that said all piggies need a home!
As long as you go into getting the piggies with your eyes open to potential issues if they come from anywhere other than a reputable rescue, then that is the main thing.

The guide below will also help you

Great thank you.

Oh that's great to know, Keighley was the one that came up for me. It's about 2 hours from us on public transport (we're in West Yorkshire but transport is not great) That's workable, I'd just worried they'd be sensitive to all the noises etc. Thank you.

I've come on the train from Doncaster to Keighley via Wakefield when I went to adopt my Pili Pala (Welsh for 'Butterfly') and my Papi 'Poppy' from Milhaven Guinea Pig Rescue. You may want to take a taxi from the station.
My 5 years old cataract sow from Milhaven in urgent need of a sanctuary space was part of a transport of neglected piggies down the M6 to be distributed to more piggies. Taking her in freed up a much needed rescue cage for two piggies. My husband and I met the transport at a convenient junction. Mali (fomlerly Nala) stayed with us for another 3 years in a group of other redoubtable and previously unbondable cataract sows - but once they realised that they all had the same problem they turned into a closely bonded mob!

I would recommend to contact the rescue and ask for their requirements and recommendations re. housing and rehoming before you buy; that will set you on the right path straight away. Rescues can have individual quirks from ;)

I've come on the train from Doncaster to Keighley via Wakefield when I went to adopt my Pili Pala (Welsh for 'Butterfly') and my Papi 'Poppy' from Milhaven Guinea Pig Rescue. You may want to take a taxi from the station.
My 5 years old cataract sow from Milhaven in urgent need of a sanctuary space was part of a transport of neglected piggies down the M6 to be distributed to more piggies. Taking her in freed up a much needed rescue cage for two piggies. My husband and I met the transport at a convenient junction. Mali (fomlerly Nala) stayed with us for another 3 years in a group of other redoubtable and previously unbondable cataract sows - but once they realised that they all had the same problem they turned into a closely bonded mob!

I would recommend to contact the rescue and ask for their requirements and recommendations re. housing and rehoming before you buy; that will set you on the right path straight away. Rescues can have individual quirks from ;)
Thank you, I will definitely speak to some rescues.

Thank you, I will definitely speak to some rescues.

The rescues on our list are the ones we trust fully that good welfare and care happens at every stage and in all respects. All the best. If you can involve your son in the process he will care more for the new piggies as a commitment for the duration of their lives than if they are just a gift.

That's how I got drawn in half a century ago...

It wasn't for a rescue adoption but I took Comet & Blitzen from Haywards Heath to Manchester, via London, on the train (along with a suitcase and their cage) and they dealt with it better than I did tbh. For the right guinea pigs it's always worth it.

Looking forward to seeing the new arrivals, whenever it may happen!

Back