guinea pig lady told me off

• Thread starter Thread starter nutty_lou
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nutty_lou

ok i've got one of the biggest single story cages in the UK market for my indoor guineas...now these homes are £50 roughly.

i got my new run from a guinea pig rescue place near me and the woman told me off because apparently the house isnt big enough for 2 guineas. she said something about if one wants to go one way and the other the other way they'd need to go head to head which is a fighting thing or something (to be fair she kinda freaked me out!) so am looking at new guinea pig cages...i want to know what you guys recomend for 2 4month old guineas- i kinda like the look of the 2/3 story ones but dont know if its suitable...

please help! all suggestions welcome (other than putting them outdoors...too many cats and too many kids sharing the garden)

Look at sizes of 4x2 for 2 pigs. Zooplus.co.uk do some decent cages. Or what about c&c cage you can make it how you want then. :)

this one is 4ft by nearly 2 ft! its like 4 inches off 2ft...

should i really be worrying about a new house?!

If your boys are happy then I wouldn't bother right now but in the future as they grow they need more space. Some people are so spot on with sizes. I had 2 boars living in a Nero 3 as babes but they are now in a 5x2 hutch.

My advice is if the boys are happy don't worry right now. :)

they've never had much to play with cuz they were in a hutch smaller than their new house with their other 2 brothers...now they are trying to work out how the stick with carrot and cucumber works and how the food ball with kale in it works! its very cute...xavier kept hitting himself in the nose at first! they'll learn!

i think i'll just keep them as they are at the moment and see at a later date if they need to have a bigger home...i doubt they'll fight with the head to head thing they follow each other around anyway...and if one is roaming around then the other is in the tube or the house...hmmm 98) horrible 98) scary 98) guinea 98) pig 98) lady...who kept rabbits with guineas which most people say no to! but her guineas were singing and i mean like birds song! i wanted to run away with them!! :smitten:

Many people go by the GPC cage requirements and mix up 2x3 in grids as 2 feet by 3 feet. There are 12 inches in a foot and one grid measures 14 inches (usually). Personally I say the more the better. Especially for the cages you can buy in a shop - they're measured at the widest part. In reality the actual useable area is about 2 inches smaller each way.

well as i said the boys are only in the indoors cage when i'm at work...then when i get home its an hour+ outside then floor time for the rest of the evening.

weekends they are indoors when i'm out but like today they had 2 hours outside and loved it!

so they get loads of attention and run around time...just didnt like the guinea pig lady....homing small guineas with massive rabbits telling me how to do things...if i didnt know then i'd look it up or ask.

i like advise when i need/want it or when its put in a nice way...but at least she can have loads of guineas and things...i thought it was a bit hypocritical since her gardens *front and back* are covered in hutches and so they dont get a chance to run around on the grass and things.

I agree with 'bigger is better' when it comes to space, especially with a pair of boars ::) But we used to keep ours in a 1.2m cage (not sure what that is in feet etc ,is it 4x2?) but I felt they were getting a little too territorial at adolecence, but that may have just been mine.

well i'll see how it goes in this size which is massive for the 2 of them. I've spoken with another guinea pig lady who is very helpful and she says they should be fine for now...if the grow out of this one then i'll worry about it i guess.

If they get that much floor and run time I personally wouldnt worry for now, unless they start bickering. Then review the situation again when they are bigger.

well unless i'm out *which isnt often to be fair* they're in there over night and during the day, then if the weather is nice its an hour + outside, then floor time for the rest of the evening till i'm tired...so really they get alot of space away from each other.

My 2 are in a Nero 3 - and it probably is a little bit on the small side for them but I try and let them have floortime every evening for 2 - 3 hours as I can't afford a new cage at the moment (the one I have is only 6 months old). No matter where I put their pigloo though in the cage they keep moving into the centre of the cage like a divider - which now makes me think maybe its so they've got their own space each and get a little of time away from the other one. :-\

I have those Nero 3 cages, I can only put one in there, doesnt' seem enough room for two, but when I had two living together, I took one end off the cages and put the two nero 3 cages together, so there was plenty of room. That's what I'll be doing when I try and house these babies with the grown ups putting two cages together.

I've had 2 living in Nero 3's but only when small. I couldn't do it now with Pudsey he would fill the cage on his own! I have 2 boars living in a Nero 3 each as they fell out but they are side by side at the mo.

wales1000 said:
I have those Nero 3 cages, I can only put one in there, doesnt' seem enough room for two, but when I had two living together, I took one end off the cages and put the two nero 3 cages together, so there was plenty of room. That's what I'll be doing when I try and house these babies with the grown ups putting two cages together.
That's a good idea - I might look at doing that. Although not sure if I've got the room. I notice you get ones with several levels on them so I'll have a look around at those. Definitely can't afford to buy anything just now.

cages are so expensive - those nero 3 are like £50 @ pets at home, stupid the prices - we have three bedroomed house and all the piggies live in our bedroom, luckily we have a big bedroom, but they take up one whole side of a wall and partly another, but we will have to get more cages to house the babies when they get spilt into groups, which means another £100 on cages - which means they will take over another whole side of a wall - it's like a zoo in our bedroom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back