Guinea Pig isn't scared of anything?

rblily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about this personality trait at all haha! But, ever since I got my trio of Guinea Pigs, a neutered boar (around 3yo) and two sows (around 2yo), the girls have been petrified, hiding constantly, and only have just started to come out of their shell (wheeking, etc..) whereas the neutered boar seems like he is immune to fear - almost as if he doesn't have any survival instinct? For example, whenever there's a loud sudden noise, he doesn't hide, and ever since he has came back from the shelter I got him from, he hasn't hid. Ever since I first saw him at the adoption centre (which made me want to adopt this trio in particular) he would run up to your hand for pets - letting you stroke his whole body without running away, but the girls seem to be entirely different to this lol. I really feel lucky to have a Guinea Pig which is so comfortable around me without any influence from my side of things, but I was just wondering - has anyone else had an experience like this? We haven't had these pigs for long (only about 3 weeks) and I heard it would be quite a tedious process to tame them, which the girls are proving to be entirely true but as time goes on, are warming up. Thanks for reading this silly post and I'd love to hear about everyone else's experiences with taming their pigs. :hug:

Congrats on the new furtatoes :)
It's definitely not the norm, but my previous piggies weren't particularly fazed by loud/sudden noises either, but then again they were brought up in a home where that was the norm. They ended up popcorning when the piano was played. 🤗
Hopefully your boar will help the girls feel more confident too- I love how piggies all have their own individual personalities. 🥰

They are all different!

I have four boys. The two eldest are 6 years old. They were initially nervous but one more confident (Dexter) the other (popcorn). Dexter was six weeks before he took food from my hand but even before that he would be at the bars and interested even if he wasn’t 100% certain. Popcorn was scared is his own shadow! A year and a half before he took food from me and even now (5.5 years down the line) he is the one to hold back a little more. They were originally scared of noises but aren’t now

My two youngest are nearing 18 months old. Wilbur and Hugo. Literally from day 1 they both took food from me, came to the bars, sniffing my hands, wanting to be stroked. It was a huge shock to have them so friendly and confident! They were 9 weeks old when they came to me. Now as time has gone on, Hugo has made it clear he no longer wants be stroked but he is as confident and friendly as can be! Wilbur has remained very cuddly and friendly the whole time. They aren’t scared of noises.

Hi

Feel blessed for one of those 'one of a kind' piggies and try to make the most of it in terms of what you can do with challenging enrichment and trick training. They don't come along all that often.

Hi

Feel blessed for one of those 'one of a kind' piggies and try to make the most of it terms of what you can do with challenging enrichment and trick training. They don't come along all that often.
I've been trying to teach him some tricks with pea flakes but he somehow seems to snatch them out of my hand every time before I'm able to get him to do anything! :D

Hi and welcome to the forum. Most of us tend to think of it as building a relationship with the piggies rather than taming them. It's great that you have a confident boy. When gaining the trust of the girls every little bit of progress will be very meaningful.

This is my Beatrice exactly! From the moment we met when she was about six months old she has never shown fear of anything. She will sit with me and have her nails cut, take medication without any complaint and will stick her nose into any business that's going on. She is an old lady now but still has her astonishing attitude to life. I could write a book but just wanted to share that yes, pigs like your boy are out there! 20200814_224531.webp

There is definitely a range of normal between very meek pigs and very bold pigs. Right now we have one of each... Tomie, who is actually the older one, has always been very cautious and easily spooked. Misa isn't scared of anything. She's got a lot of swagger. It's her world and we just live in it! LOL!

Back