Guinea Pig In Trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgiacait

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My friend has a guinea pig called chewy he is an Abyssinian, I love guinea pigs so i go round a lot. However he isnt being given the right care...

Chewy lives on his own, they have no plans to get any more in the future.
He is housed in a small double hutch but doesnt use the top, before this he was housed in a small pet shop cage. Unfortunately he isn't given the right diet, he has musli, and she thinks its right to give him a lot of lettuce and cucumber, no bell pepper to make sure he has enough vitamin c but he doesnt get any hay! The water bottle is upstairs where he doesnt go so it stays full so they dont refill it very often. She cleans him out once a week she says thats fine but because its a small cage it gets quite dirty. They dont like him, my friend who takes care of him hates it thats why he was put outside.

She always asks me to take him I'd gladly take him but my mum said no... I dont know what to do, should i be concerned? what would you do?
Thank you x
Georgia x

I would take him on and rehome him but it's not that easy for you.Any chance of your mum agreeing to that?Where are you?

I don't know. i speak to her all the time about getting a pair of piggies but not right now i don't have the space i could take the indoor cage and put it below my hamsters alexander cage and let him run around in my bedroom... but it isn't very likely she will agree. I'm in Manchester England.

Its hard to know because i've not spoken to my friends parents so they may not be willing to give him up as it was a present for my friends 8 year old brother who lost interest. Its quite unlikely to be able to get him in that short notice, I'm sorry. If i was going to get him it would be in 2 weeks that is if my mum would agree.

If you're worried about him, and there's no chance that you can keep him, is there any way that you could take him, and then take him straight to a rescue, or an RSPCA to be rehomed?

Mention that to your mum, she might be happy to take him in if it's just temporary.

I know how awkward this can be when it's a friend so you don't want to fall out but also want to get the Guinea a better life!
Perhaps mention you have a friend who can take in piggies to rehome them and see if they take up that offer? If they see the poor thing as an inconvenience they might be grateful of your offer as I think half the time people just don't realise that there are people who will rehome older pigs. The parents may well also be wanting rid of said pig if the son has lost interest.

:agr:
Maybe just try mentioning this to your friend in a casual way.
'Oh I was speaking to a friend recently and she said she would like to take on another pig. I was telling her about Chewy and she said that sounded good, so if you are interested then let me know and I can try and arrange something. She has lots of pigs already, so she would be happy to take on one more.'

At least you could gauge her reaction anyway, because it really does sound like he would be better off somewhere else.
But whatever happens I think you are doing a great job trying to help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back