• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig has URI, prescribed Orbax - I'm worried...

MoJeanie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm worried for my little Guinea Pig. His name is Edgar Allan Pig (Eddie) he's 4 and a half years old, and about a week ago I noticed him not eating, had sunken eyes, and was face-planted into his bedding. I was terribly worried and thought he was just not feeling well. Roughly only a couple days later I took him to the vet where he said he heard wheezing in his right lung and wanted to do an x-ray, but it was extremely overpriced and i didn't have the money for it and he said it was fine and proceeded to prescribe him Orbax and Critical Care apple banana flavored. He started the antibiotics roughly 12am Thursday (or Wednesday night) and it is now Friday, 11:30pm. I've been giving him critical care every 3-4 hours or so because he's struggling eating, hasn't drank water from his bottle for a week, ive been providing it, and Ive been giving him his Orbax morning and night and I have it written to give him this medication for 10 days. He hasn't gotten better, I could absolutely be paranoid and anxious for it to kick in maybe sooner than it can, but his ribs are still showing in a way and he's still not really eating on his own at all, and he's continuing to "sleep" with his head face planted in the bedding. He also has a runny nose with the wheezing which i can't remember if it's started recently or before the vet. I did see him trying to nibble at some hay today but it didn't seem much. Am I being paranoid? I've seen posts saying Orbax is used for UTIs and skin infections, why is it prescribed to my piggy for his URI? I'm worried about possible intolerance too because due to the URI his symptoms match the same as intolerance symptoms to the antibiotic so I'm unsure if he's okay. Does anyone have experience with this antibiotic? Does critical care have probiotics? I just need some advice <3 thank you all

Just looking at other posts on here where orbax has been prescribed. People are saying it didn’t work. I’ve only skimmed through them, so it might be worth you checking them out. Just search orbax and it brings up all posts where it’s been mentioned.

Hi

Please keep on with feeding support. If you have another healthy guinea pig not on antibiotics, then you can use their just dropped poos for a live gut microbiome transfer, which - if made properly - can be even more effective than any formula powder. 'Poo soup' can be used on its own or along formula probiotics.
Critical Care does not contain probiotics but they should be available in any pet shop or online.

Both links contain the recipe for 'poo soup' (which is less gross than its name suggests).
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

PS: I second the advice from @furryfriends (TEAS) re. Orbax.

i just found my guinea pig completely limp and wobbling.. i think he's dying :( what do i do

BIG HUGS

Sorry, you posted at the same time I was writing my first post. Keep him comfy and warm but not hot.

You can find our very detailed and practical information in chapter 3 of this link, which deals with guinea pigs going into organ failure at home, what you can do and what to expect: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

I am holding you and poorly piggy in my thoughts. So very sorry for your nightmare.

thank you, he's warm :( just seems on deaths door, do guinea pigs experience love ❤️?

BIG HUGS

Sorry, you posted at the same time I was writing my first post. Keep him comfy and warm but not hot.

You can find our very detailed and practical information in chapter 3 of this link, which deals with guinea pigs going into organ failure at home, what you can do and what to expect: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

I am holding you and poorly piggy in my thoughts. So very sorry for your nightmare.
i appreciate your advice and your help too so so much

thank you, he's warm :( just seems on deaths door, do guinea pigs experience love ❤️?

Yes, they do; much more so than humans, actually. But be gentle in your thoughts and feelings and not fierce; the latter can be overwhelming for them and cause stress and fear.

I appreciate everyone's help, but Eddie has passed away peacefully this morning roughly 3 hours after I found him limp. It seemed to be quick and not too painful for him. ❤️

I appreciate everyone's help, but Eddie has passed away peacefully this morning roughly 3 hours after I found him limp. It seemed to be quick and not too painful for him. ❤️

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for your loss.

But I am glad for you and your precious boy that his passing was quick and peaceful for him as these things go. A natural death is generally more physical than most owners expect. Please try to take consolation in that.

Try not to feel bad about the Orbax. It was one of those things you can never foresee or prevent unless you have come up against it before. It doesn't make you a bad owner; you have done nothing wrong and have done your best in the face of a serious and often fatal disease. Be kind with yourself in the coming days as you grieve and as it all sinks in fully.

We have got a Rainbow Bridge section for those who feel that posting a tribute at whatever point is right for them and we also have some practical information for what you can do for any bereaved companions in the immediate and longer term and also for yourself if you find yourself struggling. But we are also here for you if or whenever you feel you need somebody who understands as a supportive forum community.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for your loss.

But I am glad for you and your precious boy that his passing was quick and peaceful for him as these things go. A natural death is generally more physical than most owners expect. Please try to take consolation.
Try not to feel bad about the Orbax. It was one of those things you can never foresee or prevent unless you have come up against it before. It doesn't make you a bad owner; you have done nothing wrong and have done your best in the face of a serious and often fatal disease. Be kind with yourself in the coming days as you grieve and as it all sinks in fully.

We have got a Rainbow Bridge section for those who feel that posting a tribute at whatever point is right for them and we also have some practical information for what you can do for any bereaved companions in the immediate and longer term and also for yourself if you find yourself struggling. But we are also here for you if or whenever you feel you need somebody who understand as forum community.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Thank you so much you're amazing

Back