• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig had what appeared to be a choking fit

selidyla

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

My guinea pig, Momo is currently 5 years old and has what appears to be a choking fit yesterday for the second time in 3 months. both times she looked and sounded like she was popping for about a minute or two (don’t know how to describe it, see the first few seconds of attached video). Once I syringed her some water or liquid vitamin C both times, she stopped and went about her day like nothing happened. I took her to the vet a week ago and brought it up, but anything dental was ruled out as her physical was good and all her teeth were examined and came back fine. Could it be that she’s just been a greedy pig and it’s getting tougher for her to clear her windpipe or should I get a second opinion?

Hi all,

My guinea pig, Momo is currently 5 years old and has what appears to be a choking fit yesterday for the second time in 3 months. both times she looked and sounded like she was popping for about a minute or two (don’t know how to describe it, see the first few seconds of attached video). Once I syringed her some water or liquid vitamin C both times, she stopped and went about her day like nothing happened. I took her to the vet a week ago and brought it up, but anything dental was ruled out as her physical was good and all her teeth were examined and came back fine. Could it be that she’s just been a greedy pig and it’s getting tougher for her to clear her windpipe or should I get a second opinion?

apologies, couldn’t figure out how to add the correct video format, please see below

Attachments

Hi and welcome

If she has the fits during or after eating, with coughing etc., then it can be that she is just a greedy eater.

Unfortunately, this forum has no video upload facility. We are not part of social media (which has other advantages) and are entirely run on voluntary member donations. You will need to upload your video on a public setting on a service that doesn't need a membership sign-in (youtube is best) and then copy it across.

Back