Guinea pig going to stay with a vet nurse while I am on holiday for 3 days

Jenz87

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Just looking for a bit of reassurance as I am an anxious piggie mum. For context, I have a male solo guinea pig who is around 5 years old. He has been getting treated over the last few months for a bladder mass and is on daily long-term meds for this. I am going away on holiday for 3 days and one of the vet nurses from my practice has agreed to look after him for me at her house. I will be taking him there for a quick visit next weekend to get him used to the new smells and environment and then will be dropping him off the day I leave for my trip. He will be staying in a playpen that he has lived in previously, with his normal bedding and hide. He will be given his normal veg, pellets and massive piles of hay. My worry is that being in a different environment with new people he will be stressed and not eat properly. He already has a lot going on medically and I don't want him to get any worse. Aside from what I have mentioned above, and the fact I will also clip a towel over part of the pen to make him feel safer, is there anything else I can do to make sure he is calm and eats normally while he is with them? Am I worrying about nothing and he will be absolutely fine?

Thanks for any and all advice/reassurance. I just want to enjoy my holiday and not be constantly worried.

Well it sounds like he couldn’t be in safer hands than being with nurses from your vets. It’s surprising how quickly piggies settle into a new environment. I have fostered On and Off over many years for our local rescue and piggies usually settle in quite quickly. If you are sending him with his own pen, bedding and hide that will definitely help him to feel more secure because it is familiar. If at all possible please ask the vet nurse to stick to your usual feeding times e.g. if you give veggies twice a day perhaps you could ask her to keep to the same arrangement/timing as that would also help him. I am sure he will be absolutely fine, while you are away so please do try to enjoy your holiday.

Well it sounds like he couldn’t be in safer hands than being with nurses from your vets. It’s surprising how quickly piggies settle into a new environment. I have fostered On and Off over many years for our local rescue and piggies usually settle in quite quickly. If you are sending him with his own pen, bedding and hide that will definitely help him to feel more secure because it is familiar. If at all possible please ask the vet nurse to stick to your usual feeding times e.g. if you give veggies twice a day perhaps you could ask her to keep to the same arrangement/timing as that would also help him. I am sure he will be absolutely fine, while you are away so please do try to enjoy your holiday.

Thanks so much for your reassuring message. I have just been super stressed with everything going on with him recently and have just managed to get him to a good place where he is eating well, active, doing zoomies and sometimes popcorns again etc. I would just hate for things to go downhill again because I have gone away and left him with someone else. She has been lovely so far and I know he will be in great hands, but I just want him to be ok

I think you have a good solution for his care while you are away, he’ll be in safe hands. Enjoy your holiday and try not to worry too much 😊

My boy was recently in medical boarding for a wound. He was in pain and wearing a cone because he was gnawing on the wound, but he still ate and maintained his weight. He stayed in his hide a lot, but they are resilient and he will be just fine. My boy was certainly glad to be back after four days of boarding, but he was fine. He quickly got back to feeling comfortable at home. I have faith your boy will do well.

Back