• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig from PAH - suspect ringworm or fungal infection on ears

elizabeth126

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I bought a guinea pig 10 days ago from Pets at Home, two days ago I have noticed that he has a white patch on his ear, yesterday I have noticed that another patch appeared on his ear, and also, another patch is starting to appear on his other ear. Does anyone know if pets at home should cover the vet fees when it comes to treatment? I was told he is around 10 weeks old. I also have the receipt. This is the link for the picture of his ears; IMG-7867 hosted at ImgBB

Has your piggy been seen by a vet to start treatment?
Does he have a cagemate? His cage mate will also need treatment. If treatment if started within the 10-14 day incubation period then it can prevent the cage mate drom showing any signs of it.

If he doesn’t have a cagemate, then once he is fully treated, please ensure you get him a friend. Piggies are social animals, should always be kept in pairs and babies under four months of age should never be alone.

This guide explains what is needed w with the stringent hygiene necessary to prevent reinfection. Ringworm spores can live in the environment for up to two years so making sure you clean everything with a vet grade disinfectant (F10) will really help in ensuring you stop the risk promptly.
Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

You would have to speak to pets at home but yes they should but they may require you to go to their own vets rather than one of your choosing for treatment.

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

I think they would take him back for a refund or replacement and take him to the vet they use. You need to decide and treat him or return him quickly though. They might dispute the source of the infection. It would be a good idea just to let them know so that they can examine their piggies and deal with any transmission.Thinking of you, I hope the outcome is a good one for you and your new piggy!

I think they would take him back for a refund or replacement and take him to the vet they use. You need to decide and treat him or return him quickly though. They might dispute the source of the infection. It would be a good idea just to let them know so that they can examine their piggies and deal with any transmission.Thinking of you, I hope the outcome is a good one for you and your new piggy!

The re-buying praxis is not allowed in the UK. Pets@home shops will refer you to one of their contract vets.

Any infections occuring within 2-3 weeks after sale are treated as a potential pet shop infection in the UK. The period between infection and actual outbreak in ringworm is 10-14 days. The best way to make sure is to take a picture of the ear with the date on a piece of paper in the picture to ensure that it is genuine proof.

Excellent advice, please disregard mine. Good luck, this sounds like a better option ❤️

Back