Guinea pig flats

• Thread starter Thread starter Aiko
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aiko

Hi,

I just looked at different pictures in this forum of Guinea Pig housing. I see all sort of cages like hutches, regular cages and... c &c cages. I had never seen a c & c cage before, as far as I know they aren't used in Belgium or the Netherlands ( I know for sure that no one has them on the other forums where I'm a member off, and there are lots of members on those forums :) ).
This was the first strange thing I discovered.
The second was that no one seemed to have a cage like mine, while those hand made cages are very common in Belgium and the Netherlands. We call them guinea pig flats. They are made of wood and specially treated to be water proof, so they can't rot. You can't buy them in animal stores but lots of people make them by hand. You have them for outdoor and indoor use. Mine is obviously one for indoor use, as it doesn't have a roof and other stuff you must have in mind for an outdoor cage.
They are good looking as you can make them fit in your interior, match the colour of the wood with your other furniture etc..

They are very easy to clean, as you can just pick out the plexi glass in the front and start sweeping. It's easy to take your piggies too, no need to open doors to feed them,...

My question: Do you know these guinea pig flat? Has someone got one of these?
Pictures are always nice...

Here are some pictures of mine...

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Greetings!

I forgot, obviously some people have these flats with more floors than mine. I have only two floors, but some people have 5 or 6 floors!

Hi nope i've never seen them before! Mine live in C&Cs, i do like the way it fits in with the decor! My mum would like that! x

Hi Tess,

I have never heard of them before but they are fantastic! I want one...lol Ok, nowhere to put it but I like the cluttered look! >:D

I have Flora and Fleur in a 4x4 C&C in the day and a 4x2 cage of a night so I can clean out the C&C. Pudsey and Eccles are in a 4x2 at the mo but I hope to get them upstairs in a 4x4 C&C and Sunshine and Twinkle are in a 5x2 indoor hutch in my utility room.

I'm actually hoping to get a big shed in the spring so I can put them in there and hopefully start a small rescue for pigs. :)

I like your set up, it's great and I have that computer chair too!...lol

Louise
:)

I really like it I think if we had to have piggies indoors then thats the sort of cage I would like to have as it wouldnt look too out of place and you can see the piggies well through the perspex instead of through bars.

Ive seen one before on someones website but no where else O0

This one costed 120 euro (i don't know how much it is in pounds). Everything is included in this prics also making it waterproof etc.
The dimensions are 100*50 centimeters for each floor. The bigger the flat, the more expensive it gets.
Its not the cheapest solution... but i saved money in order to buy it :)

I seem o think the glass is too low. 35cm high, and pigs can jump over that, well, mine could.

Personally I think that piggies should have plenty horizontal space as they are not natural climbers (even if they DO use the ramp, they can't run laps round it). It's a great idea but doesn't look big enough for those piggies to me. There are several members on www.guineapigcages.com/forum from NL or Belgium with C&C cages, one even had one shipped from the USA. I saw the cubes in Blokker a couple of years ago but don't know if they have them any more (my partner is Dutch so we're over there to see his parents twice a year or so).

I just calculated it and its 85,35 british pound.

Tom cat, I allready know your opinion, you seem to have a problem with it but hundreds of people have them with even lower glass (as low as 20 centimeters and indeed i consider that as too low also) but I never heard of a guinea pig jumping out of a flat with 35 centimeters of glass.
You can have your opinion but I and lots of others have the experience, they don't jump over it. They're not so stupid.
You don't have to worry, if you have such a flat one day, then go ahead and make it 50 centimeters, but I know what i'm doing so let me please :) .

@daftscotslass: They do run over the ramp at high speed, you would be amazed :-D
And every evening they can run around in my appartement. So movement is not a problem at all and they are very happy pigs.

My grids are around 35cm high and mine have never attempted to jump over them :) they've jumped over their playpen but not the grids, they're just too high. they're some actrobatic piggys you got there Tom_cat! x

I also want to add that if possible i would prefer a larger flat too for them. The bigger, the better you know ;) But I live on a very small appartement myself and there's really no space for a larger one at the moment. When i'm finished studying and have a house and all that stuff there will certainly be a larger one. But for know i think this one is more than sufficient, surely with the extra time they can run around freely. I always want the best for my pets, and this is the best i can do for now... :)

Aiko said:
I just calculated it and its 85,35 british pound.

Tom cat, I allready know your opinion, you seem to have a problem with it but hundreds of people have them with even lower glass (as low as 20 centimeters and indeed i consider that as too low also) but I never heard of a guinea pig jumping out of a flat with 35 centimeters of glass.
You can have your opinion but I and lots of others have the experience, they don't jump over it. They're not so stupid.
You don't have to worry, if you have such a flat one day, then go ahead and make it 50 centimeters, but I know what i'm doing so let me please :) . .

@daftscotslass: They do run over the ramp at high speed, you would be amazed :-D
And every evening they can run around in my appartement. So movement is not a problem at all and they are very happy pigs.

Hi, i havnt tried to stop you at all, i am just saying my opinion. I am just saying that i would be worried about that as my pigs HAVE jumped over that height, beleive it or not, i too have experience. Also, have i once said i have a problem with it? NO. I am just saying that i would have thought the pigs could jump out. And also, its not that pigs are stupid, its that they will if they can jump out. Nothing to do wiht being stupid. They dont think, 'ooh how dangerouse, i might die or get lost if i jump out' do they?

It's different! It blends in nicely with the furniture not like our c&c 's that stick out like a sore thumb! ;D

I think it looks great, would love something like that for my piggies.

May have to have a chat with the OH and see what he comes up with, would save soooo much space as could do it so Popcorn could live above Chewy and Mini. Obviously without the ladder as they don't get on!

Might actually get my livingroom back :D

ive never seen them but i do think they are a good idea but i do think a little bit more space would be better! but like you say your piggies get floor time and run up the ramp at speed lol. my 3 live in a 4x4 grid c&c which I'm changing to a 5x3 and adding a top level of 2x3 :)
oh and Cookie has also tried climbing out of the c&c cage (shes a bit of a jumper and climber :-\ ) but with no luck ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back