Guinea pig fight

Aarya

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have 3 male guinea pigs named Brownie, Oreo and Vanilla. Oreo and Vanilla had a fight, and now we have separated them (We have a large C&C cage, so we just put some of the extra panels in the middle (it has been around 4 months since the fight))We just put Brownie from one side to another every 12 hours. It was fine for a while, but recently Vanilla and Brownie had a fight. For now, we are just keeping Brownie on the same side as Oreo and Vanilla is alone on his side. Will I have to find a new companion for Vanilla? Or should I separate the cage into 3 sections, so they can all live alone but still see and smell each other? I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated .

I’m sorry to hear they have fought. I’m sorry to say it’s not unexpected as you have three boars - boar trios don’t work. Plus the space requires far exceeds normal cage sizing requirements.

When they had the fight brownie should not have been put in either side every 12 hours. That repeated reintroduction and separation is stressful for them and can cause further fights. They needed to have been kept in a pair and a single piggy.

If you have two piggies who do get on, then keep them as a pair. Keep the other one alone in a separate but side by side cage. The single piggy should not be mixed with the others at all. The single piggy does not need to have a new companion.
If they are all now fighting with each other then they will all need to remain separated in their own side by sides cages.

Thank you so much for your helpful reply! I'll try it out, but we have noticed Vanilla seems sad and down recently sice we have been keeping Oreo and brownie together on one side.Why is this?

Vanilla is normally an energetic guinea pig and out of his hiding, but he doesn't come out any more and seems down.What should i do?

While living side by side is an acceptable way to keep piggies who can’t share a territory, sometimes a single piggy will struggle without a live in companion. It might just be that he needs some time to settle, but it might also be that you need to speak to a rescue centre and try to find him a new compatible companion to live with.

It would be a good idea to check him over and make sure there are no wounds caused by the fight and therefore potential infection being a cause of him not being himself

Back