Guinea Pig Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhinnyPig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my Guinea pigs have lived together 3 years at this point with just small little tiffs/disagreements but they have been fighting for a couple hours at this point chasing and yelling at each other and nipping but I haven't found any blood or anything on them/in the cage. I'm not sure what to do. Do I seperate them or just let them work it out and keep an eye on them? At a loss:/

@Wiebke
Glad there's no actual bites, that's a good sign, but I don't know either.
Have you changed their environment lately? Could they be reasserting dominance after a change?
May be worth putting two of everything in there and trying to expand their cage if possible. Not saying it's small, I have no idea what size it is, but expanding it sometimes helps...

Oh I hope it works out, fall-outs are stressful!

Moved about a month ago but they have been fine since that until today. They have two houses and water bottles so no need to fight over those! Cage doesn't get any bigger unfortunately it's 2x4ft so not huge but it's what they've always had! Hoping when I check on my lunch break they've made up:/

my Guinea pigs have lived together 3 years at this point with just small little tiffs/disagreements but they have been fighting for a couple hours at this point chasing and yelling at each other and nipping but I haven't found any blood or anything on them/in the cage. I'm not sure what to do. Do I seperate them or just let them work it out and keep an eye on them? At a loss:/

Have there been any changes to their environment? How big is their cage and have they got their own hidey, bowl etc. to get away from each other? You can separate overnight to let them calm down and then try a full formal introduction on neutral ground. As there haven't been any full-on bites, there is a good chance that they will go back together.
Here are more tips:
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Thanks for your advice! They actually started to show signs they may be getting uri so I took both in yesterday and vet said they could be not feeling well and one may be going through hormonal changes and that's where the aggression came from. They both got their vitamin c increased until feeling better and separate cages until feeling better/ they can get along. He didn't seem to think they wouldn't be able to go together once this blows over!

Thanks for your advice! They actually started to show signs they may be getting uri so I took both in yesterday and vet said they could be not feeling well and one may be going through hormonal changes and that's where the aggression came from. They both got their vitamin c increased until feeling better and separate cages until feeling better/ they can get along. He didn't seem to think they wouldn't be able to go together once this blows over!

I wouldn't keep them separated for too long, as that can mean that may prefer to stay live-along boars with their own territory. All the best to getting better. Please make sure that you get an antibiotic asap once you notice signs of an actual URI; it can progress very quickly.

They are females! And yes I am monitoring for discharge etc or them looking worse! Thanks :)

They are females! And yes I am monitoring for discharge etc or them looking worse! Thanks :)

OK. Just be aware that once adult sows have decided that they are no longer "us", i.e. a group, you've had it. They won;t go back together again.

If one of them has got hormonal issues due to ovarian cysts (which can cause them to constantly in season and have aggression issues), you could consider hormone (chorulon) treatment, but you will have to see a more piggy savvy vet for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back