• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig fell!

x_x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a little guinea pig that is almost an year old. Today she was really excited by her food and squirmed out of my hands to run towards the food when I picked her up. At that moment I was standing near the balcony door and I think she fell on the ridges at the floor that are there for a window to let it open and close. I checked her body for any weird bumps but she seemed fine. She din't squeek either when I gently pressed against her body to check if it hurts. She has normal breathing as well and is walking and running around like normal. She is also eating and drinking her food and water. I can't take her to a vet since in my country there are no proper vets for exotic animals like her. I'm really worried about her, can someone tell me what to do?

It’s very difficult when you don’t have access to good vet care, but I’m afraid all we can say is that she should be seen by a vet to check for any internal injuries. How high did she fall from?

Switch from weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily so you can be sure she really is eating enough hay

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

She fell from about 3 feet i guess but she has jumped from heights like 1 feet or 2 feet before without injuring herself at all......
I'm just hoping she will be all right right now

A planned jump can still cause injury (we see posts of sprains etc when piggies get a bit too adventurous and jump off items in their cage and land awkwardly) but and a blind fall/jump is a different matter.
I hope she is ok but I’m afraid we can’t know and can only advise you to follow the advice in the emergency guide I linked in above and seek vet care

Reactions: x_x
Ok thankyou so much for your help. I

One last thing, are there any particular signs I can look out for incase of internal bleeding before its , you know, too late....?

I have a little guinea pig that is almost an year old. Today she was really excited by her food and squirmed out of my hands to run towards the food when I picked her up. At that moment I was standing near the balcony door and I think she fell on the ridges at the floor that are there for a window to let it open and close. I checked her body for any weird bumps but she seemed fine. She din't squeek either when I gently pressed against her body to check if it hurts. She has normal breathing as well and is walking and running around like normal. She is also eating and drinking her food and water. I can't take her to a vet since in my country there are no proper vets for exotic animals like her. I'm really worried about her, can someone tell me what to do?

Hi

Please keep a closer eye on here in case she develops back leg paralysis or problems with walking; it can take a day or two to develop in the case of a spine injury or bad bruising. Getting a meloxicam based analgesic (piankiller and anti-inflammatory) could help with the pain from the fall and help with any bruising.
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

You also need to see a vet in case your girl is losing her appetite and is becoming lethargic (risk of internal injury).
In these cases you need to see a vet. Even a general vet should be able to assess bruising or a spine injury since that is not any different than in larger pets.
Here is our Emergency care information collection with all the practical how-to care advice, including how you can improvise in a pinch: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Please do no longer feed your girl where she can blind jump and rather sit on the floor with a towel on your lap.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Hopefully, she will be OK. Fingers firmly crossed!

Thank-you so so much for your help y'all. She is showing no signs of illness currently, so you....

Oops, one last thing, sorry!

How long does it take for an internaked bleeding issue to get serious in your gp? ?
Is there enough time for me to check for symptoms?

The problem with guinea pigs is that they hide illnesses well. So it’s always better, if possible, to have any piggy checked out rather than wait. I think that any internal bleeding would be serious from the start, no waiting.

It's like middle of the night right now so I have no chance to do anything currently. I think the best I can do is wait till tomorrow. Thankyou

Okay. Good luck and hopefully she hasn’t suffered any ill effects. So please be really careful going forward. Just deal with her when she is on the floor. ☺️

Hoping your little piggie is fine, do keep an eye on her for any changes in her normal behaviour, ideally a vet check would be best. I would find a cat carrier/box/container which you can carry her in or always feed her in her cage if she get so excited, they are so food orientated they forget they are being carried sometimes x

Oops, one last thing, sorry!

How long does it take for an internaked bleeding issue to get serious in your gp? ?
Is there enough time for me to check for symptoms?

You will also know over the next couple of days if your piggy suddenly looks very ill; hence my recommendation of ow long to keep a closer eye on your girl. ;)

Please be aware that guinea pigs have sharp eyesight only for about 50 cm or so; after that, they will react to sudden movements in a general blur. This means that guinea pigs cannot see or anticipate the ground in higher falls and are much more prone to be badly injured in falls.
See chapter 3 (body facts): Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview

Thank you so much. Yes, i am currently keeping a close look on her and she seems completely healthy. Wheeking, eating and walking around as normal. I know guinea pigs can hide there illness well which is why I am going to make sure there's not a single symptom of it for this week.🙏🤞

It has almost been one full day and she is doing great. It's as though nothing had every happened lol. I'm still on a lookout but do I still need to worry as much? I am still quite worried which is why it would need great if I chillax a bit about it.

A vet check would be best, even if they're not the most experienced with piggies.

Reactions: x_x
Back