Guinea pig drinking weirdly.

One of ours practically turns his head 180° to drink from his bottle don't think it's anything to be concerned about just their character I've always assumed. Great video though 😍

One of the things I struggled to find was the height placement for water bottles - I got myself in a right tizzy trying to work out where best to put them.... #newowner

Hi and welcome

Every piggy has their own drinking style. Bottle drinking is not an instinctive behaviour, it is a learned or discovered one. Some are biting the ball because that is how they got the ball in the nozzle to move while others have worked out that they can push it back with their tongue.

You hang the bottle so high that it can be comfortably reached by all your piggies. If you have arthritic elderlies who can no longer lift their heads well or babies, this is much lower than with healthy, average sized adults. That is why there is no clear rule. You compromise at the height that works best for all your piggies at the time.

More practical information and advice: All About Drinking And Bottles

One of ours used to constantly drink with her head tilted completely sideways. There were WAY easier ways to drink but that was apparently how she wanted to do it! Tomie always acts like she is trying to rip the bottle off the bars. She is aggressive about it! LOL! They all have their own particular style. Strange little guys! LOL!

Love the video.
My Naomi mastered the art of draining a bottle completely even when I bought the ones that were supposed to be leak proof.
She had to have a water bowl, with all that entailed!
They are such funny creatures

Back