Guinea Pig Doesn't Like The Salon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effie&Winnie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I have a female texel, she is approx 6 months old now and as you can imagine, her hair is now rather long. However, she will not let me trim it! It was ok at first as I just managed to get a little bit cut as she squealed but now it is so long that it really does need some maintenance, she has developed some rather large knots underneath by her bottom and I am getting really worried for her. I bought some detangling spray in the hope this would ease the knots but she still continues to squeal hysterically if I try to comb or cut her hair. I am aware that guinea pigs have incredibly sensitive skin and am very careful with her, holding the hair at the root as to not tug at it. Does anyone have any tips? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Effie's mammy :)

Gorgeous guineas' posh'n'go shampoo is specifically designed for longhaired guinea pigs.

Distract Effie with some grass or something else to stuff her mouth and distract her; if you have got somebody else to hold her and keep her attention from you, that can also help.

Keep the bum area and lower side layers trimmed short in order to minimise matting and groom her regularly, with lots of fuss and a treat afterwards.

Otherwise, it is often a bit of a wrestling day depending on the personality of the piggy. usually, things get a bit better over time when the piggies realise that they are more comfy afterwards. Although you have to still get that one through to some of my karate perus!

Gorgeous guineas' posh'n'go shampoo is specifically designed for longhaired guinea pigs.

Distract Effie with some grass or something else to stuff her mouth and distract her; if you have got somebody else to hold her and keep her attention from you, that can also help.

Keep the bum area and lower side layers trimmed short in order to minimise matting and groom her regularly, with lots of fuss and a treat afterwards.

Otherwise, it is often a bit of a wrestling day depending on the personality of the piggy. usually, things get a bit better over time when the piggies realise that they are more comfy afterwards. Although you have to still get that one through to some of my karate perus!
Thanks Wiebke, The shampoo sounds great and I will definitely give distracting her a go. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back