Guinea pig DIY stair

PiggieSushi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Can I get any feedback on this?

So I found this DIY gp stair tutorial the other day. I use it so that my piggies can go in and out of their cage as they please during floor time. Each step is around 10-12 cm tall. So far they've been using it and they have no problems with it. They would even run in and out happily. But I'm just worried if jumping that tall is ok for them as I heard their spines can be quite sensitive. Am I just overthinking this? 😅

Attachments

• 20230707_101443.webp
    20230707_101443.webp
    63 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230706_143855.webp
    20230706_143855.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230706_103653.webp
    20230706_103653.webp
    68.1 KB · Views: 19
That's an interesting idea! Guinea pigs can easily jump 10-15 cm, as long as they don't have any medical issues. Senior piggies or blind piggies would have a problem.
The only thing I would be slightly cautious about, is that they could drip over the towel on the top step or sit under it. Piggies are quite creative when it comes to thinking of stupid ideas to get themselves into trouble.

I used to have cages where the piggies had to jump to get from one part to the other for many years. It worked very good for younger and healthy piggies.
The downside is that once piggies are used to jumping to get from one place to the other, they will jump over boundaries that other piggies would never think of jumping over.

That's an interesting idea! Guinea pigs can easily jump 10-15 cm, as long as they don't have any medical issues. Senior piggies or blind piggies would have a problem.
The only thing I would be slightly cautious about, is that they could drip over the towel on the top step or sit under it. Piggies are quite creative when it comes to thinking of stupid ideas to get themselves into trouble.

I used to have cages where the piggies had to jump to get from one part to the other for many years. It worked very good for younger and healthy piggies.
The downside is that once piggies are used to jumping to get from one place to the other, they will jump over boundaries that other piggies would never think of jumping over.

Haha yes they're quite creative that way. I think I will add another step to make it each step lower, so that they don't have to jump too high. That way hopefully they won't have any silly thoughts of jumping over the borders of their enclosure 🫣 Did your piggies ever jump out of their cage?

I will lose the towel on that top step and replace it with a ramp or something else. One of my piggies was quite hesitant to jump out and would only do so when I added that towel. But now that she's gotten used to the stairs, I think she won't be needing that anymore.

Haha yes they're quite creative that way. I think I will add another step to make it each step lower, so that they don't have to jump too high. That way hopefully they won't have any silly thoughts of jumping over the borders of their enclosure 🫣 Did your piggies ever jump out of their cage?

I will lose the towel on that top step and replace it with a ramp or something else. One of my piggies was quite hesitant to jump out and would only do so when I added that towel. But now that she's gotten used to the stairs, I think she won't be needing that anymore.
No, they never jumped out off the cage, but I use a foldable encloser for bondings that's about 30 cm high. And some of my piggies jumped out of this enclosure.

Back