Guinea pig diet questions

guineapiglover394

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
How much and how often do Guinea pigs need to eat? Do they eat pellets and lettuce? I know they need 24/7 access to hay, but how often do I refill? When it’s empty? Halfway?

Thanks!

People do different things, I mostly top up hay at breakfast and teatime, some do it throughout the day. I think the feeding guide says give at least as much hay daily as is the volume (not weight) of the guinea pig, so I give at least that.

Hello. Guinea pigs need to eat constantly to keep their guts moving. I give my two boys a large handful at breakfast, another at lunch and another bigger handful for through the night. They can eat lettuce but not iceberg. And they can have nuggets but only one tablespoon for each piggy a day.

I refill my boys hay around three times a day. I never let them run out, but equally, they will forage through and pick out the nicest bits so never eat it all, there is always hay wasted.
They get their veg portion half in the morning and half in the evening. (around one cup per pig per day). In the evening they will also get their dried leaf forage.
Mine don’t have pellets everyday but when they do, they will have their portion in the evening

Back