• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Died All The Sudden

AngelicaJS11

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My pig died unexpectedly during the night because when I woke up I went to check up on her she was lying on the floor stiff. I was shocked, she was only 3 and a half years old I don’t think it’s because of old age. I fed her regularly and I was going to clean her cage today. Her cage was big. I had the soft bedding not the hard and she was healthy and was popcorning just the other day I just don’t know. Could it be because sometimes I didn’t play with her? R.I.P Penelope.

3BC0C52C-A449-42D5-98B2-6C249571D791.webp

Really sorry for your loss. Sometimes health issues with the heart etc can remain hidden for a long time. It is possible that she died suddenly from a health problem. The closest thing you can get to answers is a post mortem but that isn't always going to give answers unfortunately

Hiya. I'm so so sorry to hear you've lost dear little Penelope. I'm sure she was a very happy piggy and she wouldn't have passed away because sometimes you didn't play with her. She looks very happy in that photo. Sometimes it just happens. My dear old Pedro died on the way back from the vets having been given a clear bill of health! Popcorn free over the rainbow bridge Penelope RIP x

My pig died unexpectedly during the night because when I woke up I went to check up on her she was lying on the floor stiff. I was shocked, she was only 3 and a half years old I don’t think it’s because of old age. I fed her regularly and I was going to clean her cage today. Her cage was big. I had the soft bedding not the hard and she was healthy and was popcorning just the other day I just don’t know. Could it be because sometimes I didn’t play with her? R.I.P Penelope.

View attachment 73702

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss. Sadly, heart attacks and strokes can happen out of the blue at any age. They leave us really shocked and with lots of questions. Some piggies live with a time bomb in their seemingly health bodies which can go off unexpectedly at any time. I have lost several younger piggies over the years that way myself.

We cannot tell you what exactly your girl has died from, but it is not from something that you have done wrong, so please feel sad, but do not feel bad about it.

You are welcome to post a tribute to Penelope in our Rainbow Bridge section if you'd like to.

If Penelope has got a companion, here is what you can do for her: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

I am sorry to hear Penelope has died. Piggys are very good at hiding the fact that they are not well. I am sure it was not because you didn't always play with her. One of my piggys died 2 weeks ago, the afternoon I took him to the vets for a check up he had been doing zoomies and popcorning round my living room, no one would have guessed he was seriously ill. Please don't think she died because you did something wrong.
Popcorn free over Rainbow Bridge sweet Penelope.

Don’t think this is your fault, I’m sure Penelope wouldn’t!
As others have said heart problems and stroke can hit a guinea pig with no previous symptoms.
At least she was happy!
RIP Penelope! :(

I'm so sorry that you lost Penelope suddenly. These things do just happen. Popcorn free at the Rainbow Bridge Penelope.

View attachment 73702
Hello Angelica, I am so so sorry that this happened. Please be assured that your piggy did not die because you sometimes didn´t play with her. I love playing with my piggies but they do just fine in the days when I can´t do that. I felt lot of guilt when my girl died and I sometimes still do, so I can guess how you must feel, but please think about the fact that your piggy surely knew how much you loved her. Lot of hugs to you and sweet dreams to beautiful Penelope

I'm sorry for your loss. :( Unfortunately small animals can hide illness until it is severe, and a sudden cause of death such as heart attack or stroke can happen out of the blue, even in a younger and seemingly healthy piggie. I'm sure it had nothing to do with anything your did or didn't do. ((HUGS)) to you.

It's happens hun, my girl Maya died one day after a checkup and nail cutting at the vet, she was (seemingly) in perfect health. Sometimes we just never get answers, it still bugs me that I don't know what happened. :( I'm very sorry for your loss.

Back