• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig dental

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boy Steve is suffering with his molars at the moment (at least we believe as current vets are unable to examine back teeth conscious without proper equipment).

He is 7 and still bright, in good body condition for his age and seems to be comfortable otherwise. Since Sunday I’ve had to syringe feed and up until this point he has been eating fine. Is able to eat softer things okay, grass, is still nibbling hay but not as much vigour. Just not touching his pellets and I’ve noticed not using his water bottle either (have placed bowl of water now and has water in the recovery food).

I thought the Cat and Rabbit clinic offered conscious dentals? Only I phoned them and they said they did not. Steve is very tolerant and I believe would be possible to do awake. If sedation is required than I’ll do it at my vets so I can monitor him and be there should anything happen.

So I guess I’m asking does anyone know of practices that do conscious dentals?

Thank you I am worried. I can’t leave him with long molars so the way I see it I either risk it and give him a chance or say goodbye. 😢

Pic of my little boy today on grass enjoying the rays.

My boy Steve is suffering with his molars at the moment (at least we believe as current vets are unable to examine back teeth conscious without proper equipment).

He is 7 and still bright, in good body condition for his age and seems to be comfortable otherwise. Since Sunday I’ve had to syringe feed and up until this point he has been eating fine. Is able to eat softer things okay, grass, is still nibbling hay but not as much vigour. Just not touching his pellets and I’ve noticed not using his water bottle either (have placed bowl of water now and has water in the recovery food).

I thought the Cat and Rabbit clinic offered conscious dentals? Only I phoned them and they said they did not. Steve is very tolerant and I believe would be possible to do awake. If sedation is required than I’ll do it at my vets so I can monitor him and be there should anything happen.

Thank you I am worried. I can’t leave him with long molars so the way I see it I either risk it and give him a chance or say goodbye. 😢

Hi

Conscious dentals have unfortunately been recently declared against the UK vet code. The first examination needs to happen under GA. :(

Hi

Conscious dentals have unfortunately been recently declared against the UK vet code. The first examination needs to happen under GA. :(
Oh damn really. I did not realise cos we don’t generally do them didn’t even think. All I got when I called Cat and rabbit was they could only do it if he had had a conscious one done before. Which he hasn’t this would be his first dental in his whole 7 years. They checked his teeth when I was there few months back as part of his general consult and back then dentition was brilliant.

Am I cruel for putting him through a dental at his age?

I think it would still be worth getting Simon/Kim to take a look. They will be able to check the back teeth properly to see what the issue is and you would then know if the problem is dental, how severe it is and make an informed decision with regards what to do. It could be a very quick fix, especially as you say his teeth were fine only a few months ago.

Oh damn really. I did not realise cos we don’t generally do them didn’t even think. All I got when I called Cat and rabbit was they could only do it if he had had a conscious one done before. Which he hasn’t this would be his first dental in his whole 7 years. They checked his teeth when I was there few months back as part of his general consult and back then dentition was brilliant.

Am I cruel for putting him through a dental at his age?

Personally, I would still have him seen at the Cat&Rabbit. It could be something fairly easy to fix.

My Hywel went through two full dental abscess operations just a few months apart aged 6; he would not have had the extra year of life without them.

Good luck. I hope you can find the problem and your boy is soon feeling better.

I agree, go to the experts, then you can take it from there. I think they can perform conscious dentals if an anaesthetic would pose a very serious risk due to age, frailty and serious health problems

Thought I would give an update, albeit a heart breaking one.

His teeth are not the issue at all. Earliest Cat and rabbit could see me was this Monday. I ordered tool that allowed me to observe teeth consciously and they are actually fine. Potentially lower right molars slightly long but nothing major (as agreed with my vets at my practice). Well cue today, he is still not eating and whilst up until Friday I could get some food into him relatively well and weight was staying stable, as of yesterday he was not accepting it. And just holding it in his mouth. Very quiet and just laying wherever I put him. Taken him to work with me today and three conscious X-rays later, my little old man has an abdominal mass.

Gutted is an understatement. I can fix teeth. I would have paid and travelled wherever to fix teeth. But an abdominal mass is not fixable and it would be cruel to even attempt. I just feel terrible that I did not notice it sooner! I wouldn’t have spent the last few days keeping him fighting and looking in his mouth.

I am going to put him to sleep after work where he will be cuddled by me up throughout.

One heartbroken pigmum

I’m so sorry 😞 Please do not beat yourself up. Even if you had have discovered the mass sooner, the outcome would still have been the same and it sounds like Steve hid the symptoms very well which is what guinea pigs are good at. He hasn’t suffered (((hugs))) I will am thinking of you both today x

Thought I would give an update, albeit a heart breaking one.

His teeth are not the issue at all. Earliest Cat and rabbit could see me was this Monday. I ordered tool that allowed me to observe teeth consciously and they are actually fine. Potentially lower right molars slightly long but nothing major (as agreed with my vets at my practice). Well cue today, he is still not eating and whilst up until Friday I could get some food into him relatively well and weight was staying stable, as of yesterday he was not accepting it. And just holding it in his mouth. Very quiet and just laying wherever I put him. Taken him to work with me today and three conscious X-rays later, my little old man has an abdominal mass.

Gutted is an understatement. I can fix teeth. I would have paid and travelled wherever to fix teeth. But an abdominal mass is not fixable and it would be cruel to even attempt. I just feel terrible that I did not notice it sooner! I wouldn’t have spent the last few days keeping him fighting and looking in his mouth.

I am going to put him to sleep after work where he will be cuddled by me up throughout.

One heartbroken pigmum

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. I totally feel for you. It's the kind of news none of us ever wants to get. :(

Unfortunately, internal tumours are very difficult to pick up because any early symptoms are usually very diffuse and by the time guinea pigs can no longer suppress them, the masses are usually already attached to more than one organ - which can in turn lead to a range of rather different symptoms depending on where the mass is and which organs it is pressing onto or growing into. :(

I had to pts my 3 years old Tegeirian 'Orchid' pretty much a year ago when her bloating symptoms for which she had been treated for several days persisted and she went off her food altogether only to turn out to be a massive build up of fluid in the body cavity on her second trip to the vets. Her heart checked out fine so the only alternative could have be a large internal mass; the fluid in the body was masking it on the scan. I had to let her go then to spare her ny further suffering. :(

Be kind with yourself. Even had you picked it up correctly earlier, operative removal would have been very much in the way of a make or break operation with low survival chances. It is one of these things that are still out of reach but that are becoming more common; not least because diagnostics are getting better.

Be sad but please don't feel guilty. It's nothing you have done wrong.

My thoughts are with you and Steve.

My Pepper passed last week with a tumour /mass. I kept him comfortable with pain meds for a few weeks. Until the call to the rainbow bridge was too strong. Take care ❤️

Thank you everyone. He is at peace now and went with me kissing him till the very end. I shall miss his big floppy ears.

He was bomb proof for a piggy, I mean not many can say they’ve been to Centre Parcs, or travelled to Yorkshire for a getaway. He just didn’t care.

It sucks, but they are worth the pain in the end. I’m just dreading this year becuase my other piggy Bellamy had a mass including his nipple removed and the lab confirmed that was cancer. He is still with me, and shall be spoilt up until the point it isn’t fair anymore. I just hope that isn’t too soon in the future as he used to be bonded with Steve so I feel like a part of him is still here.

Some of my favourite pictures of my little boy. Until we meet again Steve xx💖

Attachments

• IMG_6971.webp
    IMG_6971.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6979.webp
    IMG_6979.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 209D7678-024E-45CD-BFD8-1D1A03BBB2DF.webp
    209D7678-024E-45CD-BFD8-1D1A03BBB2DF.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1072.webp
    IMG_1072.webp
    110 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0939.webp
    IMG_0939.webp
    31 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5415.webp
    IMG_5415.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5765.webp
    IMG_5765.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4812.webp
    IMG_4812.webp
    108 KB · Views: 3
I am so sorry, sending big hugs x
Steve will have known how much you loved and cared for him and the lovely life he had with Bellamy. I hope you have lots more time with Bellamy

Popcorn high Steve 🌈

Oh Steve what a beauty. 😍. He will be waiting over the bridge. I hope Bellamy has many more happy days with you. ❤️

Thank you everyone. He is at peace now and went with me kissing him till the very end. I shall miss his big floppy ears.

He was bomb proof for a piggy, I mean not many can say they’ve been to Centre Parcs, or travelled to Yorkshire for a getaway. He just didn’t care.

It sucks, but they are worth the pain in the end. I’m just dreading this year becuase my other piggy Bellamy had a mass including his nipple removed and the lab confirmed that was cancer. He is still with me, and shall be spoilt up until the point it isn’t fair anymore. I just hope that isn’t too soon in the future as he used to be bonded with Steve so I feel like a part of him is still here.

Some of my favourite pictures of my little boy. Until we meet again Steve xx💖

Steve will always have a place in your heart and your memories because he has been part of your life and the person you are now - love works both ways. But it is hard to no longer being able to touch him and see him.

Fingers very firmly crossed for Bellamy , too.

Back