• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Cyst-like Bleeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnxt

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have had my guinea pig named Doughnut since about 2015, my other pig lived until 4. About two weeks ago I noticed a nickel sized bump about the thickness of a pencil, on my guinea pigs hip area. This week I noticed that there was a tiny drop of blood, dried on it. When I came back from school today I saw that he was laying down, blood soaking into his fur (maybe about an hour old not completely dry). He was limping when I lifted his house, I knew he was in critical state. There was blood on the sided wall of his cage (it's a modified store-bought) and the bedding under his house. I was terrified. My mom and I decided that it was probably a good idea to wrap the lump because that probably how it started bleeding again in the first place. We called the two closest vets in the Richmond Area but we just can't afford it right now, they quoted 100$ +whatever the meds cost my mom had two tires go bad this week and has to pay car insurance. Fortunately, there was an expert there that told me if I can't take him in right now I can just isolate him, keep him from running and make sure he's eating and drinking, although they recommended a visit. I noticed he was extremely puffy, been sitting in that corner moving only a tiny bit. I had fed him some hay and he's drinking water. Thanks for any advice, I'd just hate to lose another beloved pig. :((( PS see the pictures. (link in case it doesn't load imgur.com/a/nl5o4)

Unfortunately the photos don't show, so I can't see the lump.

We're not vets here, so we can only suggest a vet visit. If there is an open wound (even though it's wrapped now, it was open) then there is a risk of infection, so he needs antibiotics from the vet and likely pain relief at the very least.

Ask the vet to see if they offer a payment plan. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back