Guinea Pig Cuddles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgkisonj

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As some background I originally adopted two boars from the blue cross unfortunatley a few months ago the eldest died :-( .

I have scine adopted a two year old female for Sherbert the one who was letf compaion and I have managed to successfullly bonded them ;-).

Sherbert my orignal male likes to be handled but only on his terms I handle them both daily, however Sherbert only really like to be handelled for three quarters of an hour max. Sugar my new female on the the other hand love cuddles and would probably stay being cuddled all night if I let her.

My question is do you think its is a problem that I cuddle Sugar longer than Sherbert. As Sherbert is my original guine pig I dont want him to get jealous. I handle them both daily for as long as they will individually let me am I doing the right thing?

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry for your loss. You are welcome to post a tribute to him on the rainbow bridge thread.

45 minutes is a long time to hold guinea pigs. None of mine would let me hold them that long! If your little girl prefers more cuddles then I do not see any reason not to spend more time with her. All piggies like different things so do not worry.

It would be lovely to see pictures of sugar and sherbert. This link will tell you how to post them.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-post-photos.112751/

Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry for the loss of your piggie, it is always sad and hard to lose a much loved member of your family.

Wow sounds like Sugar is very cuddly, don't worry they won't get jealous. The only thing I would say is if the other piggie is looking for there friend while you have the other out then it is time to pop them home. With Cookie and Treacle, sometimes Cookie didn't like being without Treacy for too long, so we would limit lap time if Cookie was wanting Treacy back in the cage with her. But you'll notice this type of behaviour

Welcome to the forum & sorry for the sad loss of your piggy. Piggies in general don't like being handled too long & if I ever have any of mine on my knee longers it's because the poorly. I would a little hay available if you have them on your knee for long periods. They tend to eat this constantly while they're in their cage & they do need an unlimited supply of hay.

Hi thank you all for your replies . I know poor liqourice he is the one thst died. he was six years old.

I have had sherbert for three years now and got him with liqourice who was older than him. Sherbert was 4 weeks old when I got him and has always loved being handled just on his own terms and sugar who I have just got loves being handled to so I do disagree with the above post that piggies dont like being handled for long periods , ive had sugar cuddled up to me for three hours and she has not once moaned about it or wriggled to go back in her hutch so I think its to do with individual piggies snd maybe how much time is spent with them :-) mine are my babies as I live on my own and dont have kids :₩;-) . I always pop them right back in their hutch when they do tell me too though I just wanted to know the score on different hadling times between piggies and if it was ok to hold one for longer than the other. When I have them out if I say kisses to them they give me a little lick on my nose so sweet.

I will post pictures of sherbert and sugar soon I only joined up last night ;-)

In my experience, piggies tend to show their preferences early on. Sherbert is fine with fewer cuddles. Sugar seems to need lots of affection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back