• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig crackly and hooting

Peanut the piggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi my Guinea pig was making a wierd hooting and crackly noise that woke me up she’s eating, drinking, running around, being energetic but she makes this sound sometimes but then if I let her run for an hour the sound stops for a few weeks or days then she makes it again she makes this sound sometimes and I wonder if she has allergies.

Welcome to the forum

True allergies are rare.

Hooting from the nose is usually irritation from hay or bedding. Piggies airways are narrow and any obstruction is audible. A sneeze will usually clear it.
If it doesn’t clear it after a few hours, then see a vet.
Check your hay is dust extracted.
Also make sure there are no irritants in the room ie no scents, sprays, perfumes, candles etc.

Crackly breathing from the chest can be more serious. This always needs a vet check straight away. Piggies get bacterial respiratory infections that always require treatment and can cause serious issues.

One of my girls makes a sound called complaining.
She does this whenever the cage is a bit smelly or if my other girl is being a bit annoying or if her vegetables are late.
I'm not saying this is what's going on but it's a possibility.
You should definitely take your guinea pig to a vet to rule out illness first.

Hope this helps,

One of my girls makes a sound called complaining.
She does this whenever the cage is a bit smelly or if my other girl is being a bit annoying or if her vegetables are late.
I'm not saying this is what's going on but it's a possibility.
You should definitely take your guinea pig to a vet to rule out illness first.

Hope this helps,
Okay thank you very much

Welcome to the forum

True allergies are rare.

Hooting from the nose is usually irritation from hay or bedding. Piggies airways are narrow and any obstruction is audible. A sneeze will usually clear it.
If it doesn’t clear it after a few hours, then see a vet.
Check your hay is dust extracted.
Also make sure there are no irritants in the room ie no scents, sprays, perfumes, candles etc.

Crackly breathing from the chest can be more serious. This always needs a vet check straight away. Piggies get bacterial respiratory infections that always require treatment and can cause serious issues.
Do you think it can be something else with my Guinea pig she stops making the sound for a long time then it comes back for a day or two then it’s gone she has no symptoms of sickness at all and seems to be healthy and normal

Do you think it can be something else with my Guinea pig she stops making the sound for a long time then it comes back for a day or two then it’s gone she has no symptoms of sickness at all and seems to be healthy and normal

You have mentioned hooting and crackling.
These two words come with an attachment to two different potential issues.

Hooting - generally a noise coming from the nose. Is usually due to an obstruction in the nasal passages due to narrow airways. Usually a sneeze will clear it and the issue stops. It may very well come back if it is due to dusty hay. If this is the case and your hay is dusty, then look to change your hay source. This is not necessarily a medical issue but would advise a vet check if it happens a lot or doesn’t clear.

Crackling - generally a noise from the chest. This is of concern as a potential URI. Always requires a prompt vet check.

Do note though that as a forum we cannot tell you exactly what is happening in your case and can only give general advice on the two most common reasons for hooting and crackling.
We can only ever advise a vet check for any concerns as we are not vets and cannot have access to your piggy to hear the sounds for ourselves.

You have mentioned hooting and crackling.
These two words come with an attachment to two different potential issues.

Hooting - generally a noise coming from the nose. Is usually due to an obstruction in the nasal passages due to narrow airways. Usually a sneeze will clear it and the issue stops. It may very well come back if it is due to dusty hay. If this is the case and your hay is dusty, then look to change your hay source. This is not necessarily a medical issue but would advise a vet check if it happens a lot or doesn’t clear.

Crackling - generally a noise from the chest. This is of concern as a potential URI. Always requires a prompt vet check.

Do note though that as a forum we cannot tell you exactly what is happening in your case and can only give general advice on the two most common reasons for hooting and crackling.
We can only ever advise a vet check for any concerns as we are not vets and cannot have access to your piggy to hear the sounds for ourselves.
Ok thanks the piggy is going vet tommorow!

I have gone to the vet and they said she’s fine and gave her no medicine what if she keeps making the sound?

I have gone to the vet and they said she’s fine and gave her no medicine what if she keeps making the sound?

As long as there are no signs of a URI, then you need to check your hay and make sure it is dust extracted and make sure there are no irritants in the room

As long as there are no signs of a URI, then you need to check your hay and make sure it is dust extracted and make sure there are no irritants in the room
I never spray anything and she seems to be doing good again! I’ll let you know if symptoms start up or she’s making it again

Back