Guinea Pig Climbing?

WheekWheekPigge

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 3 guinea pigs, two of them have been fighting over domination. Is it normal for the 3rd one to try to climb out of the cage?

I have 3 guinea pigs, two of them have been fighting over domination. Is it normal for the 3rd one to try to climb out of the cage?

It is not normal, but it is an indication that:
- your cage is too small for 3 boars as they do not have any space to get away from each other and that tensions have built up too far because of that
- you have to think about what to do as 90% of baby boar trios require a split before they reach a hormonally more settled adulthood. Getting a pair through the teenage months when testosterone is at an all time high is tricky enough, but with three boys hitting the big hormones all together, this is pretty impossible.
Pet shops with minimal knowledge and even less care of the animals they are selling sadly still continue to push boar trios causing lots of misery to the pets they sell, as it is the pets that ultimately pay the price. Customer demands always come before welfare for them when the chips are down. :(

Please take the time to read these guides here:
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Cage Size Guide

It sounds as though you have boar trio issues. I'm afraid as @Wiebke has said it is most likely that you will need to separate them. Boar trios very rarely work unless they are introduced together later in life (when their hormones are under control) and it always depends on their individual personalities. if they are a young trio it is most unlikely that they will make it into adulthood as a trio. Sorry.

It is not normal, but it is an indication that:
- your cage is too small for 3 boars as they do not have any space to get away from each other and that tensions have built up too far because of that
- you have to think about what to do as 90% of baby boar trios require a split before they reach a hormonally more settled adulthood. Getting a pair through the teenage months when testosterone is at an all time high is tricky enough, but with three boys hitting the big hormones all together, this is pretty impossible.
Pet shops with minimal knowledge and even less care of the animals they are selling sadly still continue to push boar trios causing lots of misery to the pets they sell, as it is the pets that ultimately pay the price. Customer demands always come before welfare for them when the chips are down. :(

Please take the time to read these guides here:
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Cage Size Guide
I think he was trying to climb because he was in the hammock and they just ran over there! He hasn’t done it ever since!

Back