Guinea pig choking/coughing?

Je12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I recently rescued three males and one of them chokes/coughs when he eats food like veggies. I’m not sure what to do because it only happens when he eats veggies and then he’s fine.

Welcome to the forum!

Some piggies cough when they eat veggies (to fast). So if you only see this while he is eating, it probably won't mean anything bad.
But if it also happens away from eating or you notice anything else (like a running nose, watery eyes ...), please have him checked by a vet.

Are all your males living together?

This happens to my pigs as well sometimes when they eat their peppers. I assume they are just eating too fast, as they are fine afterwards and go right back to eating. If it sounds pretty bad, I just check on them, but they're always fine. I would keep an eye on him when it happens just to make sure the choking isn't prolonging.

It’s usually because of eating too fast. If you are worried then see a vet.

Are the two boys you still have in the same cage settling down as a pair ok?

Welcome to the forum!

Some piggies cough when they eat veggies (to fast). So if you only see this while he is eating, it probably won't mean anything bad.
But if it also happens away from eating or you notice anything else (like a running nose, watery eyes ...), please have him checked by a vet.

Are all your males living together?
No the one choking lives by himself.

It’s usually because of eating too fast. If you are worried then see a vet.

Are the two boys you still have in the same cage settling down as a pair ok?
Yes, they still rumblestrut and try to hump but no fighting just seems to be establishing dominance.

Yes, they still rumblestrut and try to hump but no fighting just seems to be establishing dominance.

That’s good news. Mounting and rumbling happens throughout life so you will always see some.

Back