Guinea pig cagemate gone

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs just passed away today, I didn't bring back his body so that the other guinea pig could smell him, what do I do instead? I had them separated, so I connected the cages so that he could smell that he was gone, was that the right thing to do, or should I clean his smell away? What can I do to make him understand that he died? I read somewhere that they can get depressed and lonely if they don't know where their cagemate went.
How long can he go withought another guinea pig? I plan on getting another but I dont know if I can get myself to do that anytime soon, but if he's going to get lonely then I'm going to get him one sooner.

I’m so sorry you lost your piggy. Sometimes they know when the other is ill and the pull of the rainbow is strong. They will, in that case, often grieve before they lose their friend.

As they were separated, I. Not sure how you would handle it in these circumstances.

Your boy should be okay for a few weeks while you work on finding him a friend. If he starts losing weight and his behaviour changes (seems down in the dumps) then you’ll have to find him a friend sooner rather than later.

I’m so sorry you have lost your piggy. When I lost my Percy recently his friend Pepper knew he was very poorly and kept away from him for his last day. It was like he had already said his goodbyes. Percy passed away at the vets so Pepper wasn’t with him and never got to smell/see that he had passed.

I’m so sorry you lost your piggy. Sometimes they know when the other is ill and the pull of the rainbow is strong. They will, in that case, often grieve before they lose their friend.

As they were separated, I. Not sure how you would handle it in these circumstances.

Your boy should be okay for a few weeks while you work on finding him a friend. If he starts losing weight and his behaviour changes (seems down in the dumps) then you’ll have to find him a friend sooner rather than later.
I’m sorry for your loss.
In addition to Siikibam’s advice, this guide may help you. Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Thanks so much!

I’m so sorry you have lost your piggy. When I lost my Percy recently his friend Pepper knew he was very poorly and kept away from him for his last day. It was like he had already said his goodbyes. Percy passed away at the vets so Pepper wasn’t with him and never got to smell/see that he had passed.
Thanks, and I'm sorry for your loss❤️

Back