Guinea pig bonding

MHarrald

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for some advice on guinea pig bonding.

I have a very much loved 5-year-old male who recently lost his brother. We are looking for a young male companion to join him. Is it best to get a pair of young males or just one? I’ve been reading up on introducing guinea pigs to each other. Are three male guinea pigs more likely to fight than 2? Our 5 year old is quite slow and quiet now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Please only get one boar. Three together will not work - it’s a huge recipe for disaster, even if you can provide the space three would need (a boar trio need would considerably more space than normal sizing requirements for say three sows).
If you try to put three boars together you risk fights. The aftermath of a trio attempt would result in the best case scenario that two remain a pair and you would end up with one single. At worst, all three fight, none can live together and you then need three separate cages.

As a bond comes down to compatibility, if there is a rescue centre you can get to then that is the best way to find a new friend for him. They can ensure they are a match.
If that is not possible and you have to buy a piggy from elsewhere, then you would need a plan b in case the bonding failed ie they would need to live in side by side but separate cages.

Bonding is done on neutral territory. You put the piggies together in a neutral space for several hours and see if they get on. If they do then you clean out the cage they are to live in and mark it with both their scents by rubbing soiled bedding and hay from the bonding pen inside the main cage. You then move them to it. It will then take two weeks for them to fully bond.

Make sure you use only two door hides in cage (no hides to be used in the bonding pen) and that the cage is big enough (180x60cm recommended for two boys).

The guide below explains further

Thanks so much for the advice. That’s very helpful. Will definitely stick with two then! Many thanks

As you have an older guy, in theory he should be quite easy to pair up as he should be mellow and unreactive.

Back