Guinea Pig Bonding Carrier

CarlyCoolBeans

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello there everyone. Hope all is well with you'll

So I'm considering buying this bonding carrier --> Turquoise adjustable guinea pig sling small pet carrier

because i don't carry my guinea pigs much. I know that you are supposed to hold them at least once a day but i haven't been. They have been eating from my hand and when i clean their cage at least one of them inst scared to be by my arm but i can tell they still arent confortable being petted by me.

Ive seen videos where others guineas fall asleep on them or arent so flustered around them. I really want my guineas to be confortable around me and trust me enough to fall asleep on my and let me pick them up without running away. I really want to establish that kind of trust with them

Do you think that this is a good way to bond with them and to have them trust me more? Id there any advice any is appreciated :) Thankyou

I personally wouldn't. Pigs are very sausage shaped so they can easily escape things. My two boys would escape that immediately as there's nothing to hold them in.

You could carry them in one of their beds or a box if you're not comfortable holding them.

Hmmm, those seem to be aimed at children really. All the expert advice I've read in the past says that pigs should be handled, cuddled etc whilst sitting down and held firmly, especially with children, to avoid the risk of falls from a height and injury. They shouldn't be carried around like a doll.

Bonding is best done by sitting in their run with them (if it's big enough!), or holding them on your lap, and feeding them favourite treats, so they become more comfortable with you. Even then, nearly all pigs will move away if you go to pick them up, they can't help it, it's just the prey reflex. And I don't think any of mine have ever fallen asleep on me (though that may be because I don't hold them long enough for them to get that sleepy).

Back