Guinea pig bond questions

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm trying to find guinea pig/guinea pigs for my guinea pig to live with since his cagemate recently passed away. Hes a male, so is it better to get another male or neuter him and get one or two females? I'm not sure if he'll get along with another male since hes so dominant, he only got along with my previous guinea pig because he was a super non dominant guinea pig. From what I've read groups of a male and two females get along a lot better than two males, is that true? and is it worth the risks of neutering or is it better to just get another male? I also may want to get more guinea pigs in the future, so i dont want to get another male since i wont be able to get any other guinea pigs(i read that a group of guinea pigs cant have more then one male, not sure if thats true or not)

I don't have a ton of guinea pig experience, but it really is up to you on what you want for your future with piggies. Two males can get along great their whole lives with no problems. You could have a herd that falls out and then have several separate cages for who gets along with each other. Just like people, piggies have their own likes and dislikes and that includes liking or disliking other piggies.

I currently have a bonded pair of male piggies that I am fostering. I LOVE them! My personal piggies are a neutered/spayed male/female pair. I love my two but I think in the future I will probably get a pair of males. The rescue I foster has so many males as many people think they are not as great as females.

The other big thing is, making sure you have enough saved up for emergencies for all your piggies. Piggies are surprisingly expensive.

I don't have a ton of guinea pig experience, but it really is up to you on what you want for your future with piggies. Two males can get along great their whole lives with no problems. You could have a herd that falls out and then have several separate cages for who gets along with each other. Just like people, piggies have their own likes and dislikes and that includes liking or disliking other piggies.

I currently have a bonded pair of male piggies that I am fostering. I LOVE them! My personal piggies are a neutered/spayed male/female pair. I love my two but I think in the future I will probably get a pair of males. The rescue I foster has so many males as many people think they are not as great as females.

The other big thing is, making sure you have enough saved up for emergencies for all your piggies. Piggies are surprisingly expensive.
Thanks so much for your reply its really helpful!

A badly matched neutered boar/sow(s) pair/group will be just as likely to fall out as a badly matched boar pair so not it’s not really true that boars/sow herds will get along better. It all still comes down to character compatibility so as long as you find the right piggy(s) to bond with yours then it’s fine!

Yes it is true that if you have a herd, it can only contain one neutered boar to any number of sows (space permitting)

A badly matched neutered boar/sow(s) pair/group will be just as likely to fall out as a badly matched boar pair so not it’s not really true that boars/sow herds will get along better. It all still comes down to character compatibility so as long as you find the right piggy(s) to bond with yours then it’s fine!

Yes it is true that if you have a herd, it can only contain one neutered boar to any number of sows (space permitting)
Thanks! i didnt know that

Back