Guinea pig bereavement

dee10535

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread. I just put one of my guinea pigs to sleep due to major GI stasis. I only have one guinea pig left. I opted to have her cremated and buried there, so my other guinea pig will not know what happened. Since she doesn't know, how many days will it take for her to realize her companion isn't coming back? How can I keep her as happy as possible? Unfortunately I have decided I will not be getting any more guinea pigs for financial and mental health reasons so if my remaining guinea pig were to become severely depressed I am not sure I could do anything. There is only guinea pig rescue in our area and they do not take surrenders from the public, and because she has probable ovarian cysts I don't think it is fair to pass her off to a neighbor. Any advice?

I'm sorry for your loss. Having to put a piggy to sleep is a really difficult decision. You may find that she already said goodbye as she knew her companion was ill. The best thing for her would really be to find her a companion. You say there is only one rescue in your area - I know that rescues in US are few and far between - but is here an option to travel to one that would accept taking her in? The other alternative is to see if you can 'foster' a piggy to keep your girl company until it's her time to pass over the rainbow. Perhaps speak to the current rescue (and some others within reasonable distance) and see if they offer this service.

If she does become depressed then you would really have to surrender her somewhere or find her a companion. I hope you can find a solution that works both for her and you.
Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations

Yeah my mom and I are in agreement that fostering is not going to be an option, and there don't appear to be any other rescues in my part of the state. I will just have to do the best I can.

Back