• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig behaviour changing

Lele2000

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My Guinea pig is normally very active and makes a lot of noises however over the last 4 days she has stopped all of this unless it is for food. I thought I found a lump under her neck but haven’t been able to feel it again. She’s booked in for the vets in two days as she’s still eating and drinking I think the vets will say she is okay as there’s nothing physically on her. The temperature is normally where they are staying so I’m abit stuck on what is happening as her behaviour has changed dramatically

Welcome to the forum. How old is she and does she have a companion? Start weighing her every day as weight loss is a good indicator of a potential issue.

Welcome to the forum. How old is she and does she have a companion? Start weighing her every day as weight loss is a good indicator of a potential issue.
She’s 2 in September, she is bonded with a male who is neutered they have been together since she was a baby and he was 10 months.

Hi and welcome

Please switch fom weighing weekly on your normal kitchen scales to weighing first thing daily in the morning before feeding anything for best day to day comparison. Hay is making over three quarters of the daily food intake but you cannot control it by eye. This to help you when to step in with feeding support. The poo output is by necessity running 1-2 days behind the food intake while the scales give you instant and much more precise feedback.

My fingers are firmly crossed. Unfortunately there are a few things in the neck that could apply from dental abscesses, to lymph nodes and the thyroid gland. Good that you have booked her in for an appointment.

Please take good care in the coming days in terms of hot weather care.
We have got lots of little practical tips to prevent guinea pigs from plastering against frozen bottles because they are overheated. As I know from my own experiences, frail and unwell piggies are at a higher risk.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Back