Guinea pig bedding

o&b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi!

So I have fleece bedding for my piggies cage. Their potty has paper-based bedding. My guinea pig got some of the paper bedding stuck to his bottom. How can I prevent that from happening again?

Attachments

• oreo potty.webp
    oreo potty.webp
    50 KB · Views: 14
If I could figure that out, I would have left part of my older girl's cage litter. You could try a different brand or type (example: for Carefresh, the nesting variety has larger pieces than the regular). I briefly tried part litter, and my long furred piggy had litter all over the cage and in her fur still; I discontinued the litter section to solve the issue.

To be honest most piggies will only use a potty area like that very rarely (if at all).
Piggies can't be potty trained like rabbits.
You would be better to use a different bedding in a large tray, and fill it with hay on top or put a bag of hay above it.
Piggies will spend a lot of time munching on their hay and this is where most of their pee and poo will end up.

I use a newspaper base in a large plastic tray, and have huge piles of hay on top.
I empty the whole lot out once a day and replace with fresh paper and hay.

If I could figure that out, I would have left part of my older girl's cage litter. You could try a different brand or type (example: for Carefresh, the nesting variety has larger pieces than the regular). I briefly tried part litter, and my long furred piggy had litter all over the cage and in her fur still; I discontinued the litter section to solve the issue.
Thanks! I use two types of paper based bedding. We still have 3 bags left because my hamster passed away, and we still had bedding. We use Carefresh and Kaytee (the colorful one from Carefresh and the white one from Kaytee). I looked and Oreo had the green bedding on his bum. But he wiped it on the fleece bedding and it wasn't that deep.

To be honest most piggies will only use a potty area like that very rarely (if at all).
Piggies can't be potty trained like rabbits.
You would be better to use a different bedding in a large tray, and fill it with hay on top or put a bag of hay above it.
Piggies will spend a lot of time munching on their hay and this is where most of their pee and poo will end up.

I use a newspaper base in a large plastic tray, and have huge piles of hay on top.
I empty the whole lot out once a day and replace with fresh paper and hay.
Hi!
Thanks! My piggies use the potty often (or maybe too often) that it gets really stinky. But thank you!

Thanks! I use two types of paper based bedding. We still have 3 bags left because my hamster passed away, and we still had bedding. We use Carefresh and Kaytee (the colorful one from Carefresh and the white one from Kaytee). I looked and Oreo had the green bedding on his bum. But he wiped it on the fleece bedding and it wasn't that deep.
I’m sorry you lost your hamster. :hug:

Back