• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea pig as passed would the other need company

• Thread starter Thread starter staceann
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

staceann

hi i did have two guinea pigs but one passed away a few weeks ago. they were both about a year and a half old can u put in another male with this one now or is that going to be a bad things thanks

Hi. This sadly happened to me recently. Everyone on here is really helpful. Your piggy will probably want company. Mine has been quite lonely and withdrawn and we've just got a baby boar to try and pair with him. Go to www.barmy4boars.co.uk for advice, it's great.

yes you can introduce a young boar with him but you do have to follow a few basic rules like being watchful for trouble, the older one will most likely want to be boss pig and start to show his dominance as long as the baby or younger one accepts this then all should be well, if any real bad fights occur remove him and start again it might work it might not,give them plenty of free room maybe on the floor with you watching them indoors and make sure their home is spacious and has 2 of everything and places to hide mine like pipes and igloos, with a little patience it can and does work, as already said anymore info can be got on barmy4boars website or more will post later with tips and ideas good luck, dont leave one on its own even if it does'nt work put them side by side

Hi,

We had two lovely piggy-brothers and, sadly, a few months ago, one of them died.

We decided to get a new companion for the survivor and it worked out very well. You can read our story on Page 2 of the (rather long and contentious!) 'Routinely neutering Boars?' thread on 'General Chat'.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3455.0

There are arguments in favour/against as to whether to get a baby or another adult as a new companion. My understanding is that a baby will settle in more quickly than an adult and is more likely to accept the older, resident boar as 'boss'. BUT: it can sometimes happen that, as the baby grows up, he decides to mount a challenge on the older boar and take over as new boss. This can mean that you get conflict in a few months time when you are not expecting it and less alert.

We decided to get an adult companion for our Sammy as he was already 4 years old and we didn't want him to have to face a challenge when he was that bit older at nearly 5. It took a long, slow introduction, but was not actually difficult in the sense of needing any special skill. (Other than patience!)

Beautifully said 'sammyroo'

If i'd had my choice i'd i've had a mate for Duke, but opposition was against me. >:(
The advice you receive here is great and it's from people that have been there and done that,
they never question you they try to advise and guide you.
Good luck our thoughts are with you it's a difficult time, you little one that has passed onto
the Bridge is safe, happy and not in pain with lots of friends to play with, take care :-*

[colorr][colorr]My avic woul b...an bas on my xprinc...
A young boar ag btwn 8 an say a fw months ol or consir nutring him an fining a fmal companion. If you hav th spac to kp two ntir boars apart if thy on't gt on, consir th formr...if not th lattr. (mor chanc in my xprinc of things working out).

Aopt via a goo rscu, that way you will gt lot's of back up an thy will tak a piggy back if things on't work out.
Th aoption "contract" will stipulat this.

Buy from a pt shop or brr, ask about ths conitions bfor you buy :)

Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best options are to either have him neutered - but only if you are near a competant vet, or to introduce a young baby boar - between 4 and 6 weeks old is optimum. The older boar will mother the youngster and hopefully they will form a bond strong enough to weather the youngster's emerging hormones. If both turn out to be dominant types they may go on to fight later on though:( Then you end up with two lonely piggies:(
If you live near a rescue that routinely neuters (like me) then you will have an experienced vet at hand. Your lad would be very happy with female company, but there are always risks with anesthetics that you need to be aware of, even though they are far smaller than they used to be.

I think it would be best if you did get him a new friend. They can survive on their own, if they are not depressed but at 1 and a half he probably has a lot of life ahead of him, it would be a shame if he had to spend it alone. Over a year old most boars, especially those who have already had a companion, will accept a new friend, usually a baby works best as big age gaps tend to be more sucessful. You could have him neutered but because he has just lost a friend I think it is a lot to put him through and of course having him a year and a half he will be very precious. If you want any advice at all about pairing him up please contact me :) good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back