Guinea Pig Apartment coming soon..

xElizabethx1991

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So this is the set up that i am going to be having for two of my Piggies. I need help and or suggestions on how i can make this the most comfy and cozy apartment for two of my Piggies. i am unsure of what i should all have inside. I know I should have at least three hides for them.... preferable open so they have an enter and an exit. If you could please send Links of what you think i should put inside to make it as nice and cozy as possible it would be much appreciated. I Am curious what you all use for Liner's size etc. So please send all your recommendations!
Guinea pig Condo.webp

Are you actually having it as is on the picture?

The first thing to note is that the ramps are not safe and the piggies won’t use them as they are. You will need to make sure they are fully covered with something so that the piggies are not walking directly on the bars - they are a risk of injuring toes and causing bumble foot.

In terms of liners, you will need multiple. Stick to liners that are around 2x3 size so they are small enough to be washed without unbalancing the machine and so there you can remove a couple from the cage at a time - id I remember correctly you have boys so you don’t want to change the entire bedding in one go as it removes all the scent. So I estimate you’ll need around 8 liners for one set, and you’ll need a couple of sets so you’ve got some in the cage and some being washed, around 16 2x3 liners in total?

In terms of what to put in it, that’s personal choice and more what you can get hold of.
- You will need lots of hides - probably for a cage that size I would have two in each section - so around 6 hides in total.
- I’d have at least three water bottles
- A hay pile in every section
- other entertainment such as tunnels in every section

Are you actually having it as is on the picture?

The first thing to note is that the ramps are not safe and the piggies won’t use them as they are. You will need to make sure they are fully covered with something so that the piggies are not walking directly on the bars - they are a risk of injuring toes and causing bumble foot.

In terms of liners, you will need multiple. Stick to liners that are around 2x3 size so they are small enough to be washed without unbalancing the machine and so there you can remove a couple from the cage at a time - id I remember correctly you have boys so you don’t want to change the entire bedding in one go as it removes all the scent. So I estimate you’ll need around 8 liners for one set, and you’ll need a couple of sets so you’ve got some in the cage and some being washed, around 16 2x3 liners in total?

In terms of what to put in it, that’s personal choice and more what you can get hold of.
- You will need lots of hides - probably for a cage that size I would have two in each section - so around 6 hides in total.
- I’d have at least three water bottles
- A hay pile in every section
- other entertainment such as tunnels in every section
Yes, i will be having it exactly like the photo above. I was already planning on putting something on the Ramps for them anyways. Thank you so much this really helps :)

Personally I would remove some of the partitions so they have more zooming space and less chance of being cornered. I would (and did) buy proper ramps with sides. The grids removed from the interior I would put on the top to attach hammocks to.
As already advised, multiple small fleeces are much better for many reasons, I use bath mats and fluffy fleece mats on top as pee pads and for comfort, these get changed every day or two.

That's a lovely roomy cage for 2 piggies, but unfortunately the current layout is not suitable.
I agree the internal partitions need to be removed, they cause pinch points where disagreements/fights could be triggered and the piggies do not have the free flow rom for zoomies. The ramps are too steep for guinea pigs, need sides and would need to be covered. With the internal grids removed there would be room to lengthen the ramps. I personally prefer lofts at a lower level so the ramps don't need to be so steep.

IMG_1592.JPGLoft attached with cable ties partway down grids. This loft is not in use. the piggy in this cage like a lot of guinea pigs doesn't like the ramp and doesn't use the loft. I removed the ramp as it's easier to clean the cage without it.

IMG_1591.JPGRamp made with bent grids.

IMG_1588.JPGI cover ramps with vet bed attached with bull dog clips as it's easily washed.

IMG_1594.JPGFull height loft with ramp made from 3 bent grids. This cage is divided for 2 boars who don't get on and so the loft had to be full height as it runs the 4 grid width of the cage and goes over the divider. The young fit piggy in this cage can cope with that ramp happily but a lot of guinea pigs wouldn't.

I hope you find some of these suggestions useful. There are lots of ideas in thread linked below.
Member Gallery: Commercial Cages

I agree with everyone else. It is going to be in your and your piggy's best interest to take down some of the walls. I've got a 3 by 8 C&C cage and can't image how hard it would be to maneuver around myself and everything else to clean it.

I prefer noodle mats over fleece liners, but that's just my personal opinion. If you live near Target, they have a lot of great options.

You will have to make sure there is food and water in the lofts in case the pigs happen to get stuck up there, while also doing the same for the larger sections of the base cage.

I think it is amazing you are doing this for your guinea pigs! I love seeing people going above and beyond for their pets.

Back